Each week throws off several new video game lists ranging from the humorous to the trivial. What's better? A list of those. Here's a roundup of the rundowns out there.
• Seven Best-Selling Games that Totally Suck [Joystick Division]The writer vents his spleen at group of titles unworthy of the scads of money they reaped. Leading the list is Wii Play. My choice? Gotta go with either Gun or Scarface.
• 10 Games to Save 2009 [Videogamer.com]Every major upcoming release is on this list, except for the one that will, actually, save 2009. That's Brütal Legend.
• Eight Toys that Should Never, Under Any Circumstances, Be Turned into Video Games [Crispy Gamer]In case you're thinking that by "toys" the writer means G.I. Joe or Transformers-like toys - in other words, something with a lot of characters and a continuity - he doesn't. This is more like rooting around through a septaugenarian dentist's waiting room - slinky, rubik's cube, silly putty, etch-a-sketch, etc. Not on here, but should be - Betsy Wetsy: The Video Game.
• The Top 10 Most Disturbing Video Game Bosses [Spike]Pyramid Head, blah blah, the director from Manhunt, yada yada, Andross from Starfox 64 is a pretty shrewd choice, though. They go after Birdo as the first transsexual boss character. But where's Sinistar? "Run, coward!" That guy creeped me out.
• 12 Failed Gaming Consoles [oobject]Someone's put together a dirty dozen pictures of the familiar punching bags from the games industry's rises and collapses. My only quibble is the ColecoVision. It was the pre-eminent system of its time, with the best port of Donkey Kong for any console, and that absolutely drove sales to its brand. ColecoVision was victimised mainly by the industry crash at large.