Do you have what it takes to get a review published right here on Kotaku? Ben does, as he pews pews pews all over his handheld.
Yes, that’s right, we’re now publishing reader reviews here on Kotaku. This is your chance to deliver sensible game purchasing advice to the rest of the Kotaku community.
And thanks to the very kind chaps at Madman Entertainment, purveyor of all kinds of cool, indie and esoteric film, the best reader review we publish each month will win a prize pack containing ten of the latest Madman DVD releases.
This review was submitted by Ben Latimore. If you’ve played Space Invaders Extreme, or just want to ask Ben more about it, leave your thoughts in the comments below.
Space Invaders Extreme (DS, PSP)
The classic game makes its way into Extreme territory, with head-banging music, seizure-inducing graphics and gameplay to take us back and push us foward.
Loved * Eye-Popper: The backgrounds, swirling around the back of the player and the enemies, just makes you go crazy.
* Sound of Music: The techno-beats combined with the sounds when you shoot and kill blend together to make a great soundtrack to the game.
* Gameplay: It’s deep and simple. Shoot four enemies to get a weapon, shoot eight to get FeverTime. But there are a lot of bonuses to get, and there are heaps of different enemy types.
* They All Add Up: This all combines to make a head-rush, adreadaline filled, portable experience which will keep you whipping out that PSP or DS again and again and again.
Hated * Difficulty: Wow, this game is hard. Very hard indeed. Like, super hard. I found myself struggling to complete the final levels. Wait, what’s this? “Extreme Mode?”
* It’s Like Some Wonderful Drug: This is so addictive, you’re gonna wanna take a PSP or DS anywhere you are and whip out some Extreme to calm your nerves. It’s very, very addictive. You’ve been warned.
* DS > PSP: The DS has online play, online high-score tables, single-card play, but worse graphics. The PSP has better graphics, but no online functionality or single-UMD play.
All I can say is, this is one hell of a game. If you own a DS or PSP, get this game – you won’t regret it. And you should get the sequel too.
Reviewed by: Ben Latimore
You can have your Reader Review published on Kotaku. Send your review to us at the usual address. Make sure it’s written in the same format as above and in under 300 words - yes, we’ve upped the word limit. We’ll publish the best ones we get and the best of the month will win a Madman DVD prize pack.