Last night, Square Enix held its Final Fantasy XIII Premiere Party, giving a handful of individuals a chance to play the Tokyo Game Show build of Final Fantasy XIII.
At each demo station, the game's controls were detailed for players. The controls don't seem to have changed since the earlier demo that was bundled with Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete.
• Directional Pad Field: Not used Battle: Toggle through targets, commands
• Left Stick Field: Move character Battle: Not used
• L1 Button Field: Field items Battle: Paradigm Shift ("Optima Change")
• Select Button Field: Navigational Map Battle: Not used
• Start Button Field: Pause Menu Battle: Pause
• Circle Button Field: To select things, make decisions, etc (The equivalent of the "X" button) Battle: Input commands, select targets
• Square Button Field: Open Area Map Battle: Driving Mode (Type of attack used when Summons are in Gestalt Mode)
• X Button Field: Cancel Battle: Cancel
• Triangle Button Field: Open Menu Battle: Input commands
• Right Stick/R3 Button Field: Camera Field: Camera