Each week throws off several new video game lists ranging from the humorous to the trivial. What's better? A list of those. Here's a roundup of the rundowns out there.
No, you're not seeing things. We moved the Top 5 of Top 10s to this day and time to free up some space on Saturday, which was getting crowded with standing features.
• Top Eight 8-Bit Hotties [Asylum]Apparently when you work for an online lad-mag you have to rank your video game sprites before you can fap to them. Nothing too surprising here, with the Super Tecmo Bowl Cheerleaders rating a strong No. 3, likely for the notorious upskirt shot. The cheerleaders in original Tecmo weren't that bad, too.
• Ten Games That Didn't Live Up to the Hype [The Bits, Bytes, Pixels and Sprites]Haze, Too Human, Bionic Commando and Doom 3 take their expected, and deserved beatings. So does the Fable series, which I find to be a bold call. But is it just me or am I the only one who thought Grand Theft Auto IV was overrated? Because we've never ever discussed that here.
• Top 10 Problems with MMOs [IGN]1. The subscription fee. What? It's not on this list? OK, 2. They're MMOs. Kidding! But bitching about elves, a lack of story, a lack of consequences and the vortex into which all of one's free time—and more—disappears comprise this list of common complaints.
• Fifteen of the Most Memorable Lines in Video Game History [Unreality Magazine]Yes, AYBABTU, Do a Barrel Roll, and But Our Princess is in Another Castle! are in this lineup, as surely as USC, Texas and Florida always make the preseason Top 25. So is "You Have Died of Dysentery" and the opening to Bad Dudes, both memorable and great calls. There is no "Intruder Alert!" from Berzerk, which I found odd, as it was one of the first synthesised lines in a video game, ever.
• Ten Dreamcast Games Still Worth Playing Today [bitstream, blog of Sound & Vision magazine]And with this, let us all heave our last great sigh of regret for the Dreamcast on the occasion of its 10th anniversary. We'll of course revisit the subject on the 10th anniversary of the console's official demise. Remember for now the good times, with games such as NFL 2K1, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive 2 and Crazy Taxi.