Team Fortress 2 Non-cheaters Get Halos

Valve and the Team Fortress 2 Announcer do not take kindly to unscrupulous behaviour. That's why nefarious TF2 players who cheated their way toward securing unlockable hatwear will be stripped of those items. The good guys, however, will be rewarded.

As noted on the official Team Fortress 2 blog, any player who employed a third-party idling application to obtain unlockables will lose those items over the next few days. That's less than 5 per cent of players, fortunately. The other 95 per cent or so, they'll get halos, as seen above.

Valve's Erik Johnson writes that the developer will "adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system", something fans of collecting virtual items would be wise to adhere to.

Reader Harken was nice enough to send in screen shots of his Cheater's Lament headwear, granting him a level one aura of incorruptibility. He also forwarded us the halo in action, sitting atop a very proud but incorruptible Pyro.

Thanks, Harken!

Incoming! [Team Fortress 2]


Comments

    Peopel kept saying that Valve didn't care about the idling. Some poor souls probbaly used the system thinking that Valve wouldn't do anything about it

    This is going to cause a hell of a shitstorm. Brace yourselves everyone!

      There will be no "shitstorm" seeing as it's an exploit. Anyone stupid enough to complain about this will have their balls nailed to the wall on the forums.

        Take a look at the forums. Prepare to lose your faith in humanity.

        I wasn't an idle person myself, and now I have a shiny halo so I'm no longer poor and Irish

    Yes, 'poor souls'.

    Using an external program is not cool, but this is still Valve's fault for putting such a stupid unlocking system in in the first place. They let you unlock items while idling, OF COURSE people are going to idle.

      Well you're still always able to get the items through the achivements. All Valve did was allow a second way to get them. I guess it does tempt people to idle(especially with the hats), but apart from that people don't really have much reason to hate it.

      Also, they're still going to bring out the trading system.

      In the end, people were exploiting the game, and some people pointed out that they should be feel lucky that Valve didn't VAC ban them isntead.

    I don't Idle, thank you Valve and thank you Jesus.

    So the people who already have hats...get another hat...

    It's funny. I installed the idler thing the day before they stopped it. I didn't even get anything.

    I knew I shouldn't have listened to all of those bastards... Oh, well. I guess I'm corruptible.

    Pfft cheating. It was no different to logging into an idle server and doing something else. Which is what people are going to go back to doing now anyway.

    Stupid idlers

    hey how come i cant get the halo. I have never used a 3rd person idle application. I used to go into idle servers just to fuck around with the idlers. Why cant i get the halo?

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now