According to the Writers Guild of America, five games from 2009 are worthy of nominations for the organisation's Videogame Writing Award honours. Some have already walked away with multiple game of the year nods, others have certainly not.
It's a mixed crowd that includes games like Uncharted 2 and Wet, as well as Modern Warfare 2, a title we criticised for its writing in our review of the game. But nominate Infinity Ward's billion dollar blockbuster the WGA did, a year in which the organisation saw a "record number of Videogame Writing Award submissions", more than double the previous year's submissions.
Here are the nominations.
- Assassin's Creed II, Story by Corey May, Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, Jeffrey Yohalem; Ubisoft Entertainment
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Written by Jesse Stern, Additional Writing Steve Fukuda, Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, Jason West, Battlechatter Dialogue, Sean Slayback; Activision
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
- Wet, Written by Duppy Demetrius; Bethesda Softworks
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Script Writer Marc Guggenheim; Activision
The winner will be announced at the Writers Guild Awards on Saturday, February 20, 2010 at ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York.