Digital purchases might be the future, but that's just the thing with the future; it's in the future. Today is the present, and today, people still prefer buying things that are pressed on plastic and come in boxes.
A study performed by the NPD Group has found that during Q3 2009 (August-September), 90 per cent of all game purchases were "physical", meaning they came on a disc or cartridge, eaving the other 10 per cent of purchases to be... anyone? Yes, digital, meaning they were downloaded.
The study also had some interesting numbers on games piracy, especially if you're a Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony executive gripped by fear: "only" six million gamers admitted to downloading games illegally during the same period. Six million sounds like a lot, but the NPD Group say that's only 4 per cent of all gamers.
And of that 4 per cent, 72 per cent of the pirating was being done on PC and Mac. So while console piracy is definitely a problem, it's might not be the epidemic some platform holders and publishers would have you believe.