If you’re in or around the city of Sydney this weekend, you should drop by the Powerhouse Museum to check out its Retro Gaming Weekend program.
From 6pm Friday until 4.30pm Sunday you’ll be able to play ’80s video and arcade games, learn about game creation and design, and hear from local and international gaming experts.
The full list of the weekend’s activities can be viewed on the Powerhouse Museum website, but for me the highlights include:
* The ’80s Are Back arcade exhibit
* A panel discussion on ’80s gaming with Krome’s John Passfield, MIT’s Nick Montfort and indie designer Jarrad ‘Farbs’ Woods, of Captain Forever fame.
* The Game Jam design workshop
* A Byteside debate featuring ex-Good Game host Junglist and former games classifier Paul Hunt, amongst others
* Nightly chiptune DJ sets from DJ Ali Reza
The Retro Gaming program runs from 6pm-9pm 29 January and from 10am-5pm 30 and 31 January. Entry is $25 family, $10 adult, $5 child, $6 concession while Powerhouse members get in free.