A Hollywood production company has filed suit against Warner Bros, claiming the media giant has frozen it out of developing a Mortal Kombat movie after buying up the franchise in last year's sell off of Midway.
Hollywood news site The Wrap reports that Threshold Entertainment filed the suit on Tuesday in Los Angeles. It was the original development partner with Midway of the 1995 film adaptation of Mortal Kombat, and in 2006 signed a contract with Midway to develop another film. While Midway went bankrupt and Warner successfully bid on its properties, Threshold says federal bankruptcy proceedings upheld the agreements it had signed with Midway, passing them on to Warner.
Last month word surfaced that Warner was interested in doing a reboot of the 1995 movie, having already hired a screenwriter to the project. Meantime, Threshold said Warner had avoided communications with them. So last month's news was probably the final straw.
'Mortal Kombat' Thrown Into Legal Match [The Wrap]