The week before E3 is always a gathering storm of rumour, hype and anticipation. Friday, however, delivered something unusual even for the usual pre-expo chatter: A potential look at what could be a show-stealer for Nintendo.
That above is Kotaku's mockup of the new Nintendo 3DS, working off a schematic created by a Chinese blogger who claims to have a 3DS development kit, plus circuit board schematics filed by Nintendo with the FCC and additional information Kotaku has gathered since it's been reporting on this device.
This E3 is widely anticipated to be motion gaming's show, with Project Natal and the PlayStation Move commanding the spotlight. But Nintendo's latest handheld has acquired considerable buzz in the games industry and is starting to trickle out to the public before the big debut.
Kotaku readers were sceptical - we make no claim that's an authentic image of the 3DS - but nonetheless intrigued to know more and not have to wait for it.
"Very cool looking. I honestly didn't hold much interest in Nintendo's presser outside of the new Zelda... but Christ, I want to see the 3DS so much now," wrote Ursus-Veritas."It would be absolutely amazing if it had Wii-like graphics, and that big-ass screen to enjoy them on."
"The 3DS is either going to be a whopping success and break 100 million units or it's going to be the next Virtual Boy," wrote Adhominem. "I'm certainly very interested to see it in action though."
- Top Stories
- Kotaku Talk Radio
- Kotaku's E3 Previews E3 2010 Preview: These Are the Big Shooters, We Think E3 2010 Preview: These Are the Big Action Games, We Think E3 2010 Preview: These Are the Big RPGs, We Think E3 2010 Preview: These Are the Big Sports Games, We Think E3 2010 Preview: These Are the Big Music Games, We Think E3 2010 Preview: These are the Biggest Best of the Rest The Traveller's Guide to E3
- E3 Paul Oakenfold Performing at Atari E3 Party?
- Columns Well Played: Gaming's Big Secrets Revealed... Soon Stick Jockey: The Beauty of Human Error, Committed by a Computer Umpire Tim Rogers: In Praise Of Sticky Friction
- Reviews, Previews, Hands-On and Impressions The A-Team Movie Review: I Love It When A Plan Comes Together Snoopy Flying Ace Review: Dog Fights FixPix Micro-Review: Sizing Up The Competition
- News First Look At Devil's Third, The Debut Shooter From Valhalla Our Favourite PAX East Game Will Be Exclusive To PS3 Angry Tea Party Guy Makes Video Game More Scary Could This Be Gamers' ShamWow? Why Is This Johnny Cage So Familiar? He Explains to Kotaku When The A-Team Meets Call Of Duty Homefront Is The Video Game Of The American Insurgency Playing Rock Band 3's New Keyboard, 102 Button Guitar Controller Game Makers Talk About Their Plans for iPhone 4's Gyroscope Centaurian The Game Lives Up To Its Trailer Curvy Onechanbara Actress Comes to New Yakuza Game Sony Shows Its Faith In 3D PlayStation 3 Goes 3D Tomorrow, Four Games At Launch FrontierVille, The New Game From The Makers Of FarmVille, Just Might Be More Fun This Might Be My Favourite Video Game Song Ever LucasArts Names New President This Was Live-Action Asteroids, And Two Other Games North America Getting New DSi XL Colour iPhone 4's New Motion Controls: Will It Mean Better Games? The Family That Plays Pokémon Together Okay, Vanquish Gameplay Looks Neat But... My Highlight Of Red Dead Redemption Is...This Song
- Sports Online Video Game Lands a Rare League licence - the NFL's Rookie Sensation Strasburg Debuts in MLB 2K10 with an 87 Rating
- Perspectives A Reformed Pirate Writes Sega, These Are The Next Dreamcast Games We Want
- Republished Features