Auschwitz Game Creator Yanks Wolfenstein Mod Under Pressure

Sonderkommando Revolt, the video game mod that reimagines an Auschwitz uprising as a bloody, pixelated shooter, may never see release, according to the project's lead creator. He blames the "emotional trauma" of media attention for its demise.

Israeli mod enthusiast Maxim "Doomjedi" Genis says the attention Sonderkommando Revolt has received from those outside the Wolf3D modding community is responsible for its demise. In an interview with Heeb Magazine, Genis says, "Despite having no anti-jewish elements or intentions in this free pixelated mod of an 18-year old game, the project is declared cancelled at this point."

"The project is cancelled because I cannot stand media exposure of any kind," a distressed Genis tells the Jewish magazine, saying that he's experienced "very deep" emotional trauma over the scrutiny of his team's game. "I have no internal emotional powers to deal with the press, the violation of my personal privacy and life," he adds.

Genis told Kotaku earlier this month that Sonderkommando Revolt was not designed as political or social commentary, but simply as a game meant to be enjoyed by a tight-knit group of Wolf3D mod enthusiasts. He later said he regretted using the word "fun" to describe the game.

Sonderkommando Revolt was originally planned to be released on January 1, 2011. Right now, it looks like that may not happen.

Auschwitz Video Game Cancelled, ADL Overjoyed [Heeb]


Comments

    Sigh. People wanting to make an issue out of nothing take another victim.

    Another good game the media has screwed up.

    This sort of thing is why no one likes the Jews.

      Even if the game creator is himself Jewish...

      Clearly, not all Jewish people are the type to use "victimhood points" to attempt to control media they find distasteful.

      Some of them, yes. But you can say that about ANY ethnic or religious group (some Christians say "we're offended!" and use that to control media they dislike, etc.).

    Just have to hope the assets appear on the internet so someone else can finish it. And when did shooting nazis become a bad thing?

    I completely blame Kotaku for this. If they had of just left it alone, or put a nice spin on this, there would of been less attention and DoomJedi would of been okay. Furthermore, the game the man spent three years of his life making would of been released.
    It was an exceptionally promising mod, it's just a pity this happened.

    @Ben: He has the complete game. We can hope it's released in some manner, but I'm not holding my breath for anything soon.

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now