Starting this weekend, EA will be handing out vouchers for free copies of Battlefield 1943 to those who bought Battlefield 3 on PS3. Just like they originally promised. And all it took was the threat of a lawsuit!
Saying that "there have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3," EA adds in a statement that "to address this we are making Battlefield 1943 available free of charge to owners of Battlefield 3 on the PS3 beginning this month".
If that's you, you need to head to this website from the following dates:
November 26: Europe December 10: North America December 17: Asia & Japan
Once that date rolls around, you then need to do the following:
- Activate your Battlefield 3 Online Pass for the PlayStation 3 using the voucher included in the game (see step #5 for additional instructions).
- Visit 1943redemption.battlefield.com on or after the dates outlined above for your region and log in with your Origin ID and password. Click here if you need help with retrieving your account information.
- Select your territory. Note vouchers do not work across regions.
- You will then receive a PlayStation 3 voucher for Battlefield 1943. Input your voucher into the PlayStation Network store. Instructions below.
- From the XMB (cross media-bar) of the PlayStation 3 connected to a network, choose [account management] under the [PlayStation Network].
- Enter voucher and select continue.
- Download Battlefield 1943.
While it's faintly ridiculous for EA to say that a blatant bait-and-switch was a "misunderstanding", at least they're coming good on the offer.