The first beta event for CCP's free-to-play EVE Online tie-in for the PlayStation 3 kicks off this weekend. Players can enter for a chance to play in the beta event at the game's official website, or they can just drop $US20 in the PlayStation Store.
Today (tomorrow in Europe) CCP launches the Mercenary Pack, a set of $US20 downloadable content for the upcoming online first-person-shooter that gives potential players, among other things, an all-access pass to official beta events, plus additional play time on off-beta weekends.
Here's what you get for $US19.99:
- 4000 Aurum ($US20 value) - the in-game currency for DUST 514 that you can buy in the PS Store
- 30-dat Active Skill Booster - increases earned Skill Points (SP) by 50%
- 'Dragonfly' Scout Dropsuit - a uniquely designed armour with unlimited use
- 'Toxin" ICD-9 Submachine Gun with unlimited use and a custom skin
- HK4M Shotgun X 50
- Hacked Drop Uplink x 50 - allows players to create on-the-spot spawn points for their teammates
- Fused Locus Grenade x 50
- 1.5dn Myofibril Stimulant x 50 - offers players a temporary melee damage boost against opponents
- All Access Beta Pass - allows players to participate in every Beta Event, as well as additional play sessions during off weekends
Or, as I read it, blah, blah, blah, blah All Access Beta Pass.
As a potential player, I take offence at this blatant money grab. I shake my fist in defiance. Then I flatten out my fist and slowly reach for my wallet. Not too fast! I want to make them sweat a little. Maybe I pause, arch an eyebrow, and angle the hand towards my coffee cup instead. I'll get there eventually.