Let's Take A Look At The Cool New Limbo Special Edition

Limbo was one of my favourite games of 2010 -- a game that combined atmospherics, smart puzzle design and a wicked sense of humour into something dark, harrowing and distinctive.

It was a breakout hit for its developer, Playdead, who has recently been able to buy itself back from its investors and become fully independent. To celebrate, Playdead has released a special limited boxed edition of Limbo that, while probably only for hardcore collectors, is still a very nice package.

Because I really like making videos of me holding stuff at my desk, I made this video to show what you'll get if you drop the $US25 on the boxed edition. Yes, that is seriously what it looks like about 40 per cent of the time out my window. (The other 60 per cent is quite lovely!) The special edition comes with a DRM-free copy of the game for both Mac and PC, the soundtrack, some neat art cards, an extra steam key, a sticker and 3D glasses to use with its 3D mode. The presentation is a big part of the appeal -- it's austere and simple, much like the game -- no big plastic spider miniatures or anything.

This is definitely only a purchase for hardcore collectors -- there's nothing essential here, and most people have already played the game digitally, which you can get for $US15 cheaper. All the same, this is a cool package, and it's great to hear that Playdead rode Limbo's success to financial independence. More info on the Limbo Special Edition can be found at the Limbo site.


Comments

    Looks cool - and supporting an indie developer who can create brilliance like Limbo is never a bad thing.

    Looks really neat, I would buy something similar for the BIT. TRIP. series!

    Sold. One of the best indie titles in years.

    Just pre-ordered from EB for $19. I don't know why... I already have it, and I hate special editions. But this is close to my all time favourite game. I find the art direction inspiring.

Join the discussion!