Is Nausicaä Using An iPad? Wonders Japanese Site

Years before the Apple iPad tablet ever hit stores, similar style devices popped up in sci-fi movies, manga, and anime. The latest rediscovery of a similar device was recently spotted in the 1982 manga Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

In a post titled "Is Nausicaä Using an iPad?", Japanese blog Kojima Piypiyo points out that a "map app" is being used in a gunship in the original manga. "The cover is cool," writes the site. "Is that leather? Want."

Well Kojima Piyopiyo, there are several real world options: here and here, for example.

The Nausicaä manga, written by Hayao Miyazaki, went on to become a feature animated film in 1984 -- and the story goes that Miyazaki only wrote it because his producer wasn't able to get anime funding for a project not based on a manga!

Kwinky-dink or not, Miyazaki, however, doesn't seem to be a fan of the actual iPad. Back in 2010, the famed creator compared iPad use to masturbation. Wonder what he thinks about using one on a gunship...

ナウシカがiPad使ってる? [小島ピヨピヨ via ロケットニュース]

Kotaku East is your slice of Asian internet culture, bringing you the latest talking points from Japan, Korea, China and beyond. Tune in every morning from 4am to 8am.



      While it is Bashcraft, the post is fairly topical due to the recent massive Apple v Samsung trial going on now. Apple's claiming that they essentially invented tablet computers as we know it, deriding all other companies of making copycats when it's obvious the concept has existed long before we had the technology to even dream of iPads.

    Is that an iPad in Space Odysey?

    We must go deeper.

    Rounded Rectangle with Screen! Rounded Rectangle with Screen! If you believe Apple, "Rounded Rectangle with Screen" is a KEY aspect of the ipad AND a patent-able "Technology" and "innovation". Obviously Miyazaki deserves credit and money for having "designed" the iPad so long ago.

    For those of you who can't detect humour, I'm being sarcastic.

    I don't mind if Miyazaki compares the iPad to masturbation. I'm still gonna iPad.

      98% of the world iPad. The other 2% are lying.

    To this day I name all of my female RPG characters NausicaƤ

    The screen is recessed. iPad is edge to edge glass.

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now