I often pick on Zynga's social games; that's what comes of being the biggest fish clumsily flopping through the pond. I poke at the company's financial troubles, bemoaning game closings. I've been known to revel mildly when their more popular games lose players to the underdogs (every other Facebook game developer).
None of this changes the fact that this is a company that puts out a game in the middle of December and has 23 million people playing it before a month has passed.
Granted Bubble Safari Ocean had a built-in fanbase consisting of players of the original Bubble Safari. The gameplay hasn't been altered significantly, making it more expansion pack than sequel. Still, five million new players in one week is a pizza party for some Zynga team. Well, Little Caesars, nothing fancy. Maybe they'll hop in the van and hit CiCi's.
Where are this week's Facebook game losers? I'm ironing out some kinks in the format. Rest assured that there were losers this week, and at least four of them had "Ville" in the title.
Top Facebook Fan Gainers — January 8, 2013
Rank Application MAU Change
1. Bubble Safari Ocean Zynga 23,300,000 +5,085,926
2. Ruzzle MAG Interactive 2,200,000 +884,473
3. Pet Rescue Saga King.com 10,900,000 +747,800
4. Subway Surfers Kiloo Games 6,100,000 +688,249
5. Texas HoldEm Poker Zynga 34,600,000 +547,268
6. Full Bloom Playdom 2,200,000 +462,005
7. Diamond Dash Wooga 22,000,000 +448,326
8. Fun Run dirtyBit Games 1,400,000 +407,944
9. CastleVille Zynga 11,700,000 +398,424
10. 8 Ball Pool Miniclip.com 6,900,000 +342,681
Want to keep track of these on your own? Visit AppStats, where they obsessively stare at Facebook statistics all day long.