The next indie role-playing game from a studio known for solid indie role-playing games is sci-fi, turn-based and inspired by some of the all-time greats. The next game from Zeboyd Games — best known for indie gems like Cthulhu Saves The World and the last couple of Penny Arcade RPGs — is called Cosmic Star Heroine.
It has the style of Phantasy Star and the recruiting mechanic of Suikoden. In other words, it sounds wonderful.
Some details, via Zeboyd:
Alyssa L’Salle is one of the galactic government’s top agents and always manages to save the day! But when she accidentally uncovers a dark conspiracy, her own government outs her as a legendary spy and the people’s champion! Sure, now she has hordes of adoring fans but every villainous organisation she’s ever crossed in her career knows who she is and is out for her blood! Can she save the day once more while she faces her greatest challenge… Everyone!?
- Future sci-fi setting
- 2D pixel art visuals (but with various improvements over our previous games including bigger and more animated ally sprites)
- Created with Unity so that we can cover more platforms
- No separate combat screen — combat will occur directly on the same maps that you explore on
- Turn-based RPG gameplay that takes the best elements from our past games while adding a few new ideas.
- Enemy groups will no longer just stay in one place on maps but will patrol and chase after the player as appropriate
- Not a parody but will still have plenty of humor
- Players will be able to customise their own spy headquarters by recruiting more agents (think the Suikoden series)
- Will be trying to get Hyperduck (who worked with us on our last game) again for the music (they’ve already agreed that they’d like to do it but we haven’t signed anything yet)
- We will be doing a kickstarter for the game later this year to help raise funds for development costs but we’ll have more details on that later.
I'm totally down for this. Sounds neat, don't you think?