Google has released a report on how gamers use YouTube, and it's pretty interesting! Looking at the viewing statistics behind every single video game-related clip on the service, it has found that, well, pretty much all of you use it. All the time. For all kinds of stuff.
Here are the important bits from the study:
- 50% of overall views were for videos made by developers/publishers, while 47% were for "community" clips like "Let's Play" videos and walkthroughs.
- A staggering 1 in 3 views for gaming clips took place on a mobile device, Google hypothesising that much of these were "second screen" views, done while gaming on a TV or PC for things like FAQs.
- The most popular clips on YouTube aren't announcement trailers; they're reviews.
- Over 50% of the views associated with a game took place in the month before launch or immediately after launch.
- 95% of gamers watch gaming videos on YouTube.
You can read the complete study below.