Sports video game soundtracks do matter -- just spend 20 minutes in the menus of NCAA Football 14. 2K Sports has done a good job with theirs, even before bringing in Jay-Z last year to both "executive produce" the game and make that job into a verb. This year, cover star LeBron James got to pick NBA 2K14's set list.
This is what he -- or some member of his management team -- chose:
- Big Krit, Cool 2 be Southern
- Cris Cab, Paradise (On Earth)
- Coldplay, Lost!
- Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams), Get Lucky
- Drake, Started From The Bottom
- Eminem, Not Afraid
- Fly Union, Long Run
- Gorillaz, Clint Eastwood
- Imagine Dragons, Radioactive
- Jada Kiss (feat. Ayanna Irish), Can't Stop Me
- Jay Z, The Ruler's Back
- John Legend (feat. Rick Ross), Who Do We Think We Are
- Kanye West, All Of The Lights
- Kendrick Lamar, Now Or Never
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Ray Dalton), Can't Hold Us
- Nas (feat. Puff Daddy), Hate Me Now
- Phil Collins, In The Air Tonight
- Robin Thicke (feat. Pharrell), Blurred Lines
- The Black Keys, Elevator
- The Black Keys, Howlin For You
We'll see how much of that has to be hilariously censored, courtesy of the ESRB and it's yes-goddammit-we-mean-E-for-everyone-rating, once the game releases October 1.