This Is My Completely Personal Top 50 Video Games Of All Time

Fans of anything — music, movies, games — enjoy making lists, but those lists are often encumbered by concepts like 'quality', 'impact', 'objectivity', words that usually result in all lists having the same established 'classics' in varying different orders. Inspired by my Twitter buddy Rowan Kaiser, I decided to make my own super personal top 50.

These are my favourite video games. There are multiple different reasons why each game is on the list. Some of these games are objectively awful, some are undisputed classics. Some are stupid, some changed my life. Some are probably dated as hell or, worse, completely unplayable.

That doesn't matter. Every single game on this list means something to me. The crazy thing is this: it was a list that came easily. It took me maybe 15 minutes to make. It reflects a lot. In a way it represents a history of a life spent playing video games, but it also represents my own very personal tastes.

Just a few things before I leave.

— I know [insert game here] isn't on the list. I know that's outrageous. Make your own list and post it in the comments! — I realise there are a lot of Mario/Zelda/MGS games on here. That just reflects the games I like and the games I've fallen in love with. — People like different things for different reasons! — Please do not use this list to justify any future comments I make in the future, or even things I might have said in the past. This is simply a list that represents how I feel right now. It would be different if I were to make it in the next 30 minutes, let alone in a year or two! — I've written down the platform I played the game on — I realise it might have been on other platforms! — Yes, they are ranked!

And with that, here's the list!

My Completely Personal Top 50 Video Games Of All Time!

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES) 2. Monkey Island 2 (Amiga) 3. Horace Goes Skiing (Spectrum) 4. Halo (Xbox) 5. Rock Band 2 (PS3) 6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 7. Metroid Prime (GameCube) 8. Street Fighter II (SNES) 9. Yoshi's Island (SNES) 10. Red Dead Redemption (360) 11. Trials Evolution (360) 12. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) 13. Super Mario World (SNES) 14. Journey (PS3) 15. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC) 16. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) 17. Doodle Jump (iOS) 18. Daley Thompson's Decathalon (Spectrum) 19. Super Metroid (SNES) 20. Super Mario 64 (N64) 21. Way of the Exploding Fist (Spectrum) 22. Treasure Island Dizzy (Spectrum) 23. Trauma Center (DS) 24. Metroid Fusion (GBA) 25. Secret of Mana (SNES) 26. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2) 27. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) 28. The Wild Bunch (Spectrum) 29. Assassin's Creed II (360) 30. Goldeneye (N64) 31. Hunchback II (Spectrum) 32. Hotline Miami (PS Vita) 33. Halo 2 (Xbox) 34. Robocop (Arcade) 35. Dark Souls (PS3) 36. Chase HQ (Spectrum) 37. Elite Beat Agents (DS) 38. Alex Kidd In Miracle World (SEGA Master System) 39. International Superstar Soccer 64 (N64) 40. Flower (PS3) 41. Golden Axe (Arcade) 42. Mario Kart DS (DS) 43. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) 44. Kick Off 2 (Amiga) 45. Dear Esther (PC) 46. Resident Evil II (N64) 47. IK+ (Amiga) 48. Braid (360) 49. Nodes of Yesod (Spectrum) 50. Castle Master (Spectrum)

Now you go make yours!

Comments

We share a VERY similar list! :D
    Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past ... Greatest game ever!

Agreed.

Agreed again. Funny this list has a lot of Nintendo titles.

It is not at all surprising considering Mark's generation and the dominance of Nintendo in the late 80s and early 90s

Last edited 05/07/13 1:17 pm

My generation too.

That is fine, all I said is that it should not be surprising, unless you were an almost exclusive non-console gamer then most would have a healthy number of Nintendo titles. I am not saying it is impossible for someone to have no Nintendo titles in this sort of list who grew up gaming in this time period, just it is pretty unlikely.

Getting a bit in depth, I was just saying it was mine too, gee I'm getting old

Not even. I doubt I'd have any. I was using C64's, master systems, megadrives, and 386's through those years. not a NES in sight.

I'm kinda surprised that there's a mere two PC titles.

Fantastic , congratulations, it doesn't change a thing, as I said, if you had bothered to read before trying to jump down my throat, it is not impossible but not at all surprising.

Im 30 and have no nintendo games in my list. First and probably last nintendo console was the wii. Grew up playing C64, Amiga, PC, PS1/2/3 (current).

Nice list, but where the heck is Final Fantasy VII?

Not in his personal list? Wouldn't be in mine, either.

I know, I was only kidding. It doesn't need to be in everyone's list. Though I for one would certainly put it in my top 50.

I'd have games like Sextris, Dark Seed and Ultima 8 in mine which few people would probably have in theirs.

Cool, it's hard to tell in comments like this whether people are mucking around or genuinely outraged. Somehow the latter actually happens! But it sounds like we're all on the same wavelength then. Well, except for how terrible FFVII was.

Hopefully everyone read his 'quotebox' before hitting the list. :)
            ...Hopefully.

Haha for the record I don't think I ever rage. So most of these things will be in jest. Yes, it was a terrible, terrible game! I mean seriously, how could a dude carry that heavy sword around like that? :P

Ultima 8! High five! I recognise 7 was better in almost every way, but some of the most fun I've ever had with a game was messing around in Pagan's debug mode, dismantling people's houses, dropping Beren into lava pits, and setting off hundreds of oil bombs during scripted events. I don't think I've ever clocked up so many hours in a game and made so little actual progress.

Metroid Prime above Super Metroid, outrageous. No Castlevanias either? While I respect your list, the inclusion of Metroids and not Castlevanias seems weird.

Lots of people would consider the original Metroid Prime a better game than Super Metroid. Myself included.

I don't know if the games are even comparable aside from both being Metroid games. Sure they still have similar design ideas but they just play out so differently from a mechanical point of view.

Agree, if anything Metroid Prime is a 3D Legend of Zelda game with a Metroid wrapper.

Not that that's a bad thing, I'd rate Metroid Prime higher than Super Metroid too.

Dark Souls and Arkham Asylum are probably the two best examples of 3D Metroidvania games. Even the recent Tomb Raider deserves a mention.

I couldn't possibly do this! I'll need a lot more time haha. Nice list!

Do it quickly. I've left out ones that I've just remembered now and regret not including (Skate 2). No big deal -- it's just meant to be a transitory splurge!

I did the same when I made a top 30 a while back. Damn my forgetful brain.

No Sonic games :( ? I'm excited to see some other Top 50 lists emerge as well...a bit too time consuming for me right now, but I'd love to give it a shot.

I've got Sonic 3 & Knuckles (some might argue that's 2 games, but I disagree) at number 4 on my top 30. Love that game so much. :)

I'd say Sonic & Knuckles is my favourite if you do seperate them! I'd put Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) higher on my list though...sooooo much fun.

Last edited 05/07/13 12:15 pm

Bloody hell, top 50? Something tells me you don't like picking favourites... ;)

I made a top 30 list about a year and half ago.

But I feel i should gone for 50, I cut out too many good games. :(

I never knew Titanic was a game :O Especially not one that may be worthy of someones Top 30!!

Solid choice in Deus Ex as number one...wouldn't be mine, but man is it a fantastic game.

Last edited 05/07/13 12:20 pm

I've played through Deus Ex so many times since it was released it ridiculous. I still go back to it almost once a year. I just love it. :)

This. Deus Ex is the pinnacle of game design...and storytelling. Gameplay and story reach ultimate communion, if I may be so pretentious.

I keep telling kids to play it, but I always emphasise "Remember - this was released a year before 9/11."

(And the NSA scandal, too, come to think of it.)

Some cool adventure games on your list, you're alright StuMan. :D

Thanks, I like to think so. :D

Titanic in particular, such a creepy, creepy game.

Absolutely agree with Deus Ex as number one. I was hoping someone would mention it! I have never played through a game as many times as I have played Deus Ex.. It is damn near perfect!

I'm surprised somebody who grew up with the 8-bit Spectrum didn't have Elite on his list. Although I guess you would have played it on the Spectrum which, as we all know, was markedly inferior to the C64 so maybe that version was no good :P

The best thing about this list are the disclaimers. :D

Last edited 05/07/13 12:00 pm

Lets all ignore this bit, shall we.

Please do not use this list to justify any future comments I make in the future...

Bookmark this post people! :P

I feel like my list would just infuriate people because COD4 would be fairly high up on it.

Challenge accepted @markserrels - I will be a busy little beaver creating a list this weekend for my own bemusement.

By the looks of it, this list is fairly impulsive. I like that idea. Going to spend a few minutes trying to get one of my own together.

EDIT: This is hard. Just coming up with 50 titles is difficult. Then sorting them... dang.

Last edited 05/07/13 12:11 pm

Yeah I'll give myself 10 odd minutes. I just can't dedicate that time right now. (Stupid I know, given that I'm posting here).

I remember this guy!

Multiple games I like are on that list. You're literally Ghandi!

Honest question though, why Rock Band 2 over 3? I assume because 3 came out when people were getting bored of those titles so you played it less, or something along those lines?

Guest huh?

I rate Tekken 2 my favourite even though the latest is usually 'the best'. Just because I had the most fun with it & prefer the OST

Wow, ordered?

I'n a little surprised at the way some titles were ranked, like MGS4, given how you've talked about it in the past. It definitely gives the impression that this list is very much a product of a specific time, and prone to change.

The best I can do is a definitive 1, Chrono Trigger, after that I would have a hard time nailing down specifics.

Dayum nice!

I always have trouble picking favourites, let alone ranking them :P

I love seeing Treasure Island Dizzy on there. Shame they didn't reach their kickstarter for the HD reboot :( I'll just throw my top 5 or so (turned into 10) games in no real order here for no reason

Medieval 2: Total War
    Civilization 4
    Gauntlet IV
    Final Fantasy IX
    Metal Gear Solid
    Skyrim
    Half Life 2
    Team Fortress 2
    GTA San Andreas
    Red Alert 2

I want to carry on now but that's probably pushing what people are willing to read anyway

Is Medieval 2 the best of the total war series for you?
      I almost put Shogun on my list but ran out of room. I really need to try out Shogun 2 one day considering it is a remake of my favourite TW to date

Because it's my favourite historical period, Medieval gets my vote just ahead of Rome (also another favourite period of history for me). I try to get into Shogun 2 but because I like to get fully immersed into a campaign, my lack of knowledge about feudal Japan means I don't get very far. I really need a long weekend to close myself off from the world. The same goes for Empire, although that's just a weaker game imo

Solid reasons. I thought I would like it more but found I preferred shogun when I payed the first medieval. Maybe because it was the first of them and the rest just derivatives of it. I think I preferred Rome to Medieval but I haven't played medieval 2 yet, so the gameplay enhancements might make it a better game.
          I really didn't like empire, didn't do it for me at all. Then again probably didn't help it is a time period I don't have a whole lot of interest in.

In no particular order. (They're only numbered so I remember to post 50 actual games. XD)

1. Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (PC)
    2. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (PC)
    3. Day of the Tentacle (PC)
    4. Full Throttle (PC)
    5. Beyond Good & Evil (PC)
    6. System Shock 2 (PC)
    7. Grim Fandango (PC)
    8. Heavy Rain (PS3)
    9. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
    10. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    11. The Last of Us (PS3)
    12. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (PC)
    13. Red Dead Redemption (360)
    14. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
    15. Mass Effect 2 (PC)
    16. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    17. Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    18. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
    19. Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive (PC)
    20. BioShock (PC)
    21. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC)
    22. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
    23. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (PC)
    24. The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
    25. Mirror's Edge (360)
    26. Maniac Mansion (NES)
    27. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    28. Prince of Persia (2008) (360)
    29. Portal 2 (PC)
    30. The Colonel's Bequest (Amiga)
    31. SWAT 4 (PC)
    32. Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
    33. Scratches (PC)
    34. Space Quest 5 (PC)
    35. King's Quest 6 (PC)
    36. Freedom Fighters (PC)
    37. Pikmin (Wii)
    38. The Walking Dead (PC)
    39. The Longest Journey (PC)
    40. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC)
    41. Theme Hospital (PC)
    42. Roller Coaster Tycoon (PC)
    43. Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
    44. Psychonauts (PC)
    45. Stacking (360)
    46. Dishonored (PC)
    47. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords (PC)
    48. Fahrenheit (PC)
    49. SSX (Original) (PS2)
    50. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (PC)

I'm sure I've forgotten some of my all-time favourites somewhere here. XD

Last edited 05/07/13 12:16 pm

A lot of great games here. Lots of time lost playing SWAT 4 over LAN. Good times :)

Lucasarts and Sierra feature in many games in your list, my man I approve!

Yes, you forgot Little Big Adventure.

Good list, by the way.

Oh man LBA, I left that off my list as well /o\

Another often forgotten classic is Star Control 3.

A brilliant, brilliant game. Then and now.

28. Prince of Persia (2008) (360)

Whenever I hear/see Prince of Persia, I can't help but think how good the SNES version was that Konami made. Still remember the opening scene - pull back view of Persia at night, a crescent coast, and a full moon with its reflection rippling in the sea :D The music was amazing too.

I disagree with Arkham Asylum. I thought Arkham City was better, due to the larger freedom it gives you of an area to explore. Great list though

I liked the smaller, well realized setting of the first game. Plus the green hue when you were outside. Both games were pretty damn great though. Mostly comes down to preferences. :D

I did 15. Mostly because no one gives a crap about my list :-)

Max Payne 2 (PC)
    Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
    Neverhood (PC)
    Gargoyles Quest (Gameboy)
    Zelda: Link's Awakening (Gameboy)
    Arkham Asylum (PC)
    Comix Zone (Megadrive)
    River City Ransom (NES)
    Grim Fandango (PC)
    Tekken 5 (PSP)
    Soul Blade (PSX)
    Tombi (PSX)
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (C64)
    Samurai Warrior : Usagi Yojimbo (C64)
    Tony Hawk 2 (PC)

With an honourable mention to Klik and Play, which I lived on for years.

Last edited 05/07/13 6:24 pm

Tombi! You sir, are a genius.

Yeah for Grim Fandango representation! Not in the article list, but it's heartening to see it appearing on so many other peoples' :D

Wow! Everyone's lists are totally different aren't they? Maybe 1 or 2 of those would be on mine. And i reckon I would have a lot more arcade games, Rygar being on of them.

Here a a list that just came to my mind, it's in order, but I'm sure I've forgotten many great games.

These are games that deeply effected me when I played them. I went from SNES straight to PC, and then got into the current gen really late, so I missed out on a lot of N64, Xbox and PS2 classics. I've played them since, but I don't have the nostalgia for them the way my SNES games do.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - my FIRST gaming love
    Chrono Trigger (SNES) - my second gaming love!
    Journey (PS3) - Brought me to tears.
    Super Mario World (SNES) - Perfection, but I didn't realise it at the time.
    Half Life 2 (PC) - Loved every minute of it, a real game changer.
    Portal (PC) - Made my write my first fan letter to Valve. The end song did everything for me.
    Portal 2 (PC) - Who would think they could pull it off again?
    Half Life (PC) - Scripted sequences in games? It's like a movie!
    Quake (PC) - Death Match addiction - nothing comes close to Quake 1 for skilled play imho.
    Halo: Combat Evolved (PC) - It's as good as people on 360 said it was.
    Halo 3 (360) - Local multiplayer with my cousin, so much fun.
    New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii) - Made me feel like a kid again - co-op was amazing.
    Counter Strike original and Source (PC) - I remember thinking "I'll never need another game".
    Quake 3 (PC) - Multiplayer at work, everybody stayed till 7pm, amazing times.
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 (PC) - Co-op + microphones. Didn't know co-op could be this good.
    The Last of Us (PS3) - Powerful game, though I might be bias by how recent it is.
    Braid (PC) - Perfect game, clever, beautiful and a cool ending.
    Crysis (PC) - I'm a graphics whore, but this played spectacularly as well.
    Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - Really well paced, exciting game. Back when QTE were good.
    Pixel Junk Shooter (PS3) - Why don't more people know about this, it's amazing!
    Wii Sports (Wii) - It brought the entire family into gaming, nothing like it since.
    Street Fighter II (SNES) - The best competitive game we had as kids, so much fun, then later at the arcades as well.

A few SNES classics, and a lot of Valve games I guess!

Last edited 05/07/13 12:18 pm

Good call on Wii sports. It never would have come to my mind, but it was definitely a game changer.

Yeah, it's not an obvious one, but my family and I put heaps of time into that game, and older people that NEVER play games would always be up for some bowling or golf.

I imagine that for a lot of non-gamers, the Wii was just a Wii Sports machine.

Last edited 05/07/13 1:42 pm

Money where my mouth is time:

1. Megaman X
    45. Harvest Moon
    46. Boxel
    47. Kirby Super Star
    48. Wipeout (PS3)
    49. Pokemon Snap
    50. Mechwarrior 2

Oh crap, how could I forget Ico in my list. I only played it two months ago and loved it.

Fallout 2 over Fallout? Well at least it wasn't tactics ;)
      Nice list which includes dark forces 2, how did I forget all the star wars games

I spent a lot more time with 2 than one, it was more or less a coin toss

I don’t want to sound like I am whining, but I always enjoy lists more when they start at the bottom and go up (ascending?).

Your scoll bar works both ways :-D

Yeah I know but I didn't realise until I read the first one.

I agree. I actually scrolled to the bottom and read upwards

Okay, here's a list. The ordering is wonky (I made an Excel spreadsheet and gave each game a gut feeling number out of 10 and then sorted the games with that number very roughly) and I cheated by putting in some board games but I think it checks out:

1 - Tetris
    45 - Resident Evil 4
    46 - Alex Kidd
    47 - N
    48 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    49 - Tekken 4
    50 - Mortal Kombat

EDIT: Games that I realise that I've already forgotten and should be in here somewhere: Goldeneye, Ragnarok Online, Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country 3, Uncharted 2 and a list of others that is sure to grow.

Some games aren't in here because they were great but simply because I had a good time playing them. Maybe because I was a kid, maybe because of the people I was playing it with, maybe because I had terrible taste when I played it.

Last edited 05/07/13 12:27 pm

Someone else put in Elite Beat Agents *hi5*

In no particular order:
    Tribes: Ascend (PC)
    Battlefield 3 (PC)
    Baldurs Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast (PC)
    Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Arm (PC)
    Diablo (PC)
    Diablo 2 (PC)
    Torchlight 2 (PC)
    Full Throttle (PC)
    Half Life (PC)
    Half Life 2 + Episode One + Episode Two (PC)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Point Blank (PS1)
    Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
    Dead or Alive 2 (PS2)
    Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (PS3)
    Grand Thef Auto (PC)
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andres (PS2)
    Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
    Portal (PC)
    Portal 2 (PC)
    Call of Duty: World at War (PC)
    Call of Duty 2 (PC)
    Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (PC)
    Total Annihilation (PC)
    Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II + Mysteries of the Sith (PC)
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
    Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
    X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter (PC)
    Freespace (PC)
    Freespace II (PC)
    Codename Eagle (PC)
    Freelancer (PC)
    Age of Empires (PC)
    Age of Empires II + The Conquerors + HD Edition (PC)
    Borderlands (PC)
    Borderlands 2 (PC)
    Duke Nukem 3D + Atomic (PC)
    Chaos Legion (PS2)
    Left 4 Dead (PC)
    Assassins Creed (PS3)
    Transport Tycoon (PC)
    Roller-coaster Tycoon (PC)
    Kingpin: Life of Crime (PC)
    Worms: Armageddon (PC)
    The Impossible Game (iOS)
    Pokemon Red + Blue (Gameboy)
    Pokemon Gold + Crystal (Gameboy Colour)
    Perfect Dark (N64)
    Super Smash Bros (N64)
    Mario Kart (N64)

I don't have enough time left in my life to possibly order them from first to last (I'm 24, man).

I didn't bother with the ordering either. Good call on Freelancer

I used to play Freelancer during accounting in highschool. Got my backing in Star Citizen. =D

WOW Mark.....
    Not even 1 Final Fantasy game??
    Surprising

My list only has one FF game and that's solely because I used to go round to a friend's place after school and work through 100%ing it with him.

Sometimes the game itself isn't the reason someone likes it.

Solely down to what I've played. Final Fantasy VI never came out in the UK. FFVII, I wasn't much of a PS1 guy back then.

I have to admit, FF VII was my first experience with the series, and if I had to choose 1 favourite, it would be FF VIII.
        Massive Kudos on Secret of Mana, loved that game to death!!!