A mad cat scientist, mind. Mousecraft's Greenlight page poses the question: "Ever wondered what a cross between of Tetris and Lemmings would look like?" Well... no, but now that you've asked, colour me interested!
Still heavily in development and having just hit alpha, Mousecraft, once it grows up, will be a game where your task is to guide three blind mice to some delicious cheese. That's the Lemmings part. The Tetris part, on the other hand, rests with not the "what", but the "how". On their way to the cheese, your mice can (and will) come across obstacles such as gaps, lava pools and high walls, and you need to use Tetris blocks to form bridges and build stairs over them. To spice things up a bit, you can be given multiple block types — exploding blocks, jelly blocks, electrified blocks and so on.
Of course, no Greenlight pitch is complete without a features list. Here's Mousecraft's:
- Experience a remix of two classic gameplay mechanics: Pile up Tetromino bricks to create a safe path for as many mice as possible.
- Discover an epic tale of a crazy cat scientist who is striving to unlock the potential of a mysterious, mice-powered machine.
- Defeat obstacles, overcome gaps and gather collectibles by using different types of blocks, be it jelly, explosive, or crumbling.
- Prove your stacking skills by playing the game in a fast-paced Arcade mode or a mind-challenging Puzzle mode.
- Get involved by creating your own maps and show off your creativity by sharing these with the rest of the community!
The game, as I've previously mentioned, is currently in alpha, and can be tried for free if you sign up for the beta program. You can also show your support with a pre-order, if you're so inclined, via a pay-what-you-want storefront very similar to the one Humble Bundles use.