I have spent ~20 hours playing the HD remake of Final Fantasy X — out today for PS3 and Vita. In short, it’s wonderful. Play it.
To try to capture what my experience has been like, here are the notes I took while playing FFX on PS3, presented with no edits whatsoever:
- Wow this game looks great. HD as heck.
- Tidus’s face sure is goofy.
- Love this music. GJ Uematsu.
- I forgot how genuinely interesting this world is — I love the concept of a world where demise is always inevitable and everyone’s always looking for a distraction. Everything is just so sad.
- How come nobody tells Wakka to stop trying to kill monsters with a fucking soccer ball.
- Couple of technical flaws here. Sometimes the music will pause, voices will skip, etc. Nothing major at all.
- No more jaggies!
- hahaha I forgot that Auron carries around a jug of sake. I’d need alcohol too if I had to travel around the world with Tidus and Yuna.
- Why can’t I pause during cut-scenes smh
- This is kind of like Final Fantasy XIII, but good.
- The coolest thing about FFX’s combat is that mid-battle party-swapping is a major part of the strategy — instead of just setting up a party and bringing them into battle, you can swap anyone in and out at your discretion, which is really neat.
- The Sphere Grid owns. What a smart idea for a level-up system.
- Can you really poison people in blitzball? I’m starting to suspect that the Spira Blitzball League does not care about player safety.
- Man, everyone always brings up that “HA HA HA HA HA” scene, but really, all the cut-scenes are just as awkward. The transitions are clunky, the editing is terrible, and the camera likes to hang way too long on close-ups of the characters’ weird-looking faces.
- Thirteen years later, these sphere puzzles are still bullshit.
- This game really is great though.
I’ll be working on a big, meaty review to be published when I’ve spent more time with FFX and its polarising sequel, the dress-up sim Final Fantasy X-2. Stay tuned for that. Meanwhile, if you’re wondering whether FFX is worth playing today, the answer is YES. If you’ve got questions, fire’em below.