In my opinion, Q-Games’ PixelJunk Shooter and Shooter 2 are the best twin-stick shooters on the PlayStation 3. Later this year, Double Eleven is combining both into PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate for the PS4 and Vita. Here are nine reasons it will be even best-ier than before.
Richard Snowdon from the Double Eleven production team laid out the improvements being made to the combined games before hitting the PS4 and Vita this summer over at the PlayStation Blog. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Improved graphics — the game looks really sharp
- A 3D Ship — replacing the original 2D ship with a 3D model allows for more fluid motion and takes advantage of the game’s new real-time lighting
- 60 Frames-per-second on the PS4 — so smooth
- It runs on the Vita — fluid dynamics is hard, yo
- A single, seamless experience — all the new features from Shooter 2 are woven into the first game
- A smaller HUD — more room for eye candy
- Cross play — play on Vita or PS4 or both at the same time
- Cross save — save on anything
- New scoring system — what’s a scoring system?
Sounds good to me! I’ve already played through both, but these upgrades are more than enough to get me to give it another go.