Share Your PS4 Stories

Share Your PS4 Stories

Six months ago, the PlayStation 4 was released unto the world. For a half a year since then, Sony's angular new chunk of plastic has sat in our living rooms, letting us play games and watch movies. How's all that going?

While most of us on staff at Kotaku have our own PS4s and plenty of stories to tell, we're also interested in hearing from you, our readers. Some prompts to consider:

• How's PS4 ownership been for you, so far?
  • Are you glad you own one? Or do you regret it? Why?
  • Do you use the Share function regularly?
  • Picked up any accessories?
  • Do you use Vita remote play? If so, how do you like it? Do you like using it for some games more than others?
  • Are there any things about the PS4 that you still don't quite understand, or don't make sense to you?
  • More broadly: Have you had any experiences that were so cool, so annoying, or so surprising, or so disappointing that they have changed how you view the console?
  • What does the timeline of your experience look like, from when you first bought it to now?

If you think the PS4 is the best console you've ever owned, tell us why. If you hate it and can't believe you bought the dumb thing, tell us why. If there's something about your experience that you think people should know, share it here.

Basically, if you own an PS4, you've probably got stories to tell. So, tell 'em!

I've made a conscious decision to not touch my PS4 until the end of October. Then I'm going to take a month long holiday and enjoy every major PS4 release from now until then. Amazing plans aside, the games on the PS4 have left me feeling a bit peckish, guess I got spoiled last gen with the monthly big releases =\

By October you should have a few games to play but as of now... you are not missing much as far as exclusive titles go

At the moment I'm kinda meh at the moment with it, but i dont regret it. Have had a good time playing Infamous, Lego Marvel, MGS and Ass Creed BF.

Remote play has allowed PS4 toilet time, which has been fantastic.

At the moment just waiting for releases like Watch Dogs. Gonna pick up Wolfies today.

Currently just playing FFXIV, which is annoying cos all I get is ppl calling me a n00b :(((

My view so far though, is that its a PS3 with a different feeling controller and slightly better graphics.

My PS3 is going better than ever - decent PS+ games and DNLA streaming!

Enjoyed NFS: Rivals and inFamous but that's about it. I don't regret my PS4 purchase, but it's definitely been slow out of the gate so far.

Yup. I'm in the same boat. I don't regret buying one day one and I certainly had great times on it playing Killzone and BF4, but I recently got a WiiU and it's 'on' more than my PS4 which I leant to my GF so she could play Infamous.

Both the new consoles look to have a good life cycle ahead of them and I cant wait for E3, but I must admit I am underwhelmed by the launch of the hardware and games (They are all either delayed or generic IMO), partially meh about the power of the hardware (Especially if they are supposed to last as long as the PS360), shocked at how little the UI's have been 'fixed' and updated (The screenshot app crashes all the time and it's supposed to be a defining feture and it still can't play MP3's!) and although both controllers feel good they both started feeling cheap pretty soon (My DS4 sticks are smooth after using it maybe 10hrs a week?!)

That said there is one thing I am over the moon that they have now included which is the 'Library' where you can see all your purchased content similar Steam. I now feel like I actually own what I buy on PSN instead of having to scroll through a 'downloads list'.

Edit: I also feel that it will feel sterile and like a 'beta' product, FOR ME (Ignore of you disagree, it's a personal opinion.) until I can make it my own with custom Wallpapers. (And MP3's to play, but I already mentioned that.) It really is shaping up to be something GREAT though, from the first time I put it on it has felt... 'capable' and comfortable. I have high hopes, things must just pick up in terms of games and support.

Last edited 22/05/14 1:05 pm

It's a nice looking dust collector. Hopefully watchdogs is good so I use it for the first time in a month. It has potential but at the moment it is just an expensive paper weight.

Bought it for inFamous, finished inFamous, haven't turned it on since. I don't regret buying it, there'll be more games for it eventually, but there is literally no games on it that appeal to me now. I got an Xbox One as well, only has FIFA and Battlefield - the latter I don't play as it requires a Gold account to be enjoyable. Overall, the new gen has been a huge disappointment, but I'm optimistic about the future

I'm going to wait until at least a full year has passed before thinking about buying one.

I still have a backlog of games to go through anyways.

It's a fair call. Most games (which I still LOVE to play on the newest consoles) are cross generation and cross consoles so until they do alot more exclusive ps4 and xbox one games... you are fine

Happy with my buy- playing FFXIV at the moment and it looks stunning.

Haven't really used the Share button that much- though I've tried it out, it's kinda cool- not sure if I'll use it much in future though.

And on a down note, this is not the console, but the game itself (Thief)- has some real graphic issues. It seems like it could have been so much more, but it was just a little too rushed and half baked.

Looking forward to Christmas season!

My PS4 started exhibiting that auto-eject fault last night. Won't receive a disc at all, then proceeds to continue to attempt to eject a disc that isn't in there consistently afterwards. I've found a couple of potential fixes, but it seems to be a temporary fix for a lot of people. Has anyone else experienced this and am I just better off sending it back to Sony?

Bought it a few months ago and it has become my main gaming machine. Infamous, Child of Light, Killzone, AC IV and a few of the PS+ indies have been keeping me going. Hopefully we hear more of Kingdom Hearts III and FFXV at E3, which will seal the deal for me. Still keeping the PS3 around for a few games (picked up GT6 for $35 from JB last weekend) and for Blu-ray playing. Sony really need to get on that.

dont have one, want one, but dont have one, true story

I own a dual shock 4 and a copy of Trials Fusion + season pass for PS4, but don't own the console. True story!

mines still sitting on the store shelves until they release some decent games

I played through infamous... then bought a house. I'm sure i'll get around to playing games again at some point soon.

My first time to get on the “CHOO-CHOO!” hype train; I purchased my PS4 on launch day. I grabbed NFS: Rivals and Black Flag. At the time I was in the midst of completing 100% in GTA V, so I fired up the PS4 a couple of times just to see what the fuss was about. I was impressed and satisfied with my buy.

After GTA V (which I still dick around on, in single player mode), I ploughed through a bit of Black Flag. I got a bit bored and then switched exclusively to Rivals, which I got completely hooked by. Minor issues aside, the PS4 quality on my big 55 inch LED was fantastic. I even had non-gaming mates coming over to give it a go. Interspersed with Rivals I would try games like Outlast and all the other PS Plus freebies. I prematurely bought Thief which I am yet to boot up. However, I think I’ll still give it a play through.

Currently Wolfenstein is the latest game I picked up that I’m truly pumped to get into. I hope to dive in tonight.

Then….we shall see about this Watch_Dogs I seem to have preordered (back even before the PS4 was released).

For the last six months it has been nothing but a $600 Battlefield 4 machine... The excellent new Wolfenstein has changed that the last few days though but I am hanging out for E3 and hopefully new exciting stuff like Destiny, Evolve, Far Cry 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Demon Souls II, The Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid V, Doom, Fallout 4, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, SOMA, The Last Guardian etc.

Bought one on launch, and I've regretted it ever since. To be honest, if I had to pay more than the $100 out of my own pocket, I probably wouldn't have bought it. (A $200 gift card from EB plus trading in an old iPhone paid for most of the console)

Gaming wise, I haven't found much worth buying. I've got LEGO Marvel, Madden 25, Knack, MGSV:GZ & Second Son. I've played LEGO Marvel the most, and most of that has been through remote play on the Vita, which is awesome! At the moment the PS4 is going through "Wii U syndrome"; they just need more games geared for the system instead of ports of PS3 games.

Last edited 22/05/14 12:06 pm

Very happy with it so far. Especially now that Battlefield 4 has been put into something vaguely resembling a playable state. Just bought FIFA last night (on sale on PSN atm, been playing the demo for a while and enjoying it). I absolutely love Resogun, too. The first digital game I bought for PS3 was Super Stardust HD, and I played that regularly for the entire life of the machine - I can see myself doing the same with Resogun.

I had planned on buying Transistor on day 1, but the $27.95 price tag has put me off a bit... might wait for a sale. Some other interesting stuff in the coming months, though... Watch Dogs, UFC, Diablo 3. Keen to see what Sony's first party studios have to offer at E3, too.

Killzone Shadowfall was a big disappointment. I'm a big fan of the series, but each game has moved further and further away from what made it good and unique in the first place, and this one goes further still into generic COD territory. Looks fantastic, but utterly bland to play.

New controller is fantastic - fixes pretty much everything I didn't like about the old controller. The sharing functionality is good, although I wish there was a better way to target the audience for it. I don't share as much stuff as I'd like to because I don't want to spam all of my Facebook friends for the sake of the 3 or 4 that I play games with. It would be great if you could share videos on PSN itself without having to go through Facebook. Or if Facebook let you make groups of friends (so I could create a "PSN Friends" group, for example) and target a post at a specific group.

Things I don't like: Number 1 with a bullet is the lack of media functionality compared to PS3. This needs to be brought at least into parity with the capabilities of the PS3 ASAP. Also, while the new UI is generally pretty good, I suspect it's going to become pretty unwieldy once you have a large number of games installed on there. You can mitigate that a bit with voice commands, but I generally don't like using voice control so I'd prefer a UI better suited to large amounts of content. This will become an even bigger factor if/when they get their media shit sorted out and video/music become an option in addition to games. Also, remote play doesn't work real well for me, but I suspect that's more due to weak wifi signal towards the back of my house. It would also be nice if the PS4 (and Vita for that matter) had dual band antennas, as some of my other devices (i.e. phones) seem to get a stronger wifi signal in those parts of the house on the 5Gz than the 2.4.

Edit: if it's relevant, I bought mine in April i.e. a few months after launch.

Last edited 22/05/14 12:09 pm

Got mine a week after launch. Did the $10 COD: Ghosts upgrade (I actually really enjoy the game) and it's the only big game I've played since. I bought Resogun and have put a lot of time into it.

There just aren't any games out at the moment that I want bad enough to buy them. I don't regret the purchase, I'm quite happy with it. But there is a lot of functionality that should've come standard: notification of friends coming online/offline, ability to pause downloads and prioritise them. But most importantly: media playback from USB. This is a huge one that made the PS3 the centrepiece of my entertainment setup. I know PS Now is Sony's big media drawcard, but I want to be able to play my own stuff that I already have. I don't want to rent it. I don't want to buy it and then stream it because my internet is shit.

All in all though, I like the system. And I LOVE the DS4. Most comfortable controller I've ever held.

Last edited 22/05/14 12:09 pm

Jumped on board for Infamous: Second Son, was gifted Tomb Raider (i missed it first time around), Metal Gear Solid and Killzone. It's been turned off a lot more than I expected, with the PS3 getting more game time, more often. This will slowly change over time, I know. I was a bit naive, having purchased the PS3 so late in its cycle that I was spoiled for choice with titles, as well as experiencing a very polished & fully featured OS. The PS4 was a bit of a let down, in that respect, and even though I was expecting a slow start, I was still disappointed.

The assessment that it's a PS3 with better graphics and a better controller is about right, so far. Loving the fast system time, and in the few instances I've felt the need for HTML content on my TV, it's web browser has been handy vs PS3 or even my new BRAVIA. The system is so very fast, I do like that.

Sadly since the games are now 20GB+ downloading titles is a non-option on my paltry ADSL2+, so all that extra system speed and simultaneous downloading is a bit of a lovely, but wasted feature.

A small annoyance is that the system pulls down updates for ANY game that's been in it, including those that friends bought around for a quick look. Not a huge issue, but a few times I've found it on unexpectedly churning down an irrelevant update.

I'm excited for where it will go, but am a bit underwhelmed for the time being. Once great titles start being released quicker than they can be played i'll be happy. I'm still hanging for a decent, fully fledged RPG (hurry up Dragon Age).

Last edited 22/05/14 12:38 pm

Have the trifecta - PC, PS4 and XOne (getting a wii u when smash comes out) and out of the three the PS4 gets turned on the least. Really the only two times i have actually sat down with it was at launch for a few days with Killzone and Resogun. Then also a few days playing Infamous... and thats it really.

I do regret getting it at launch to be honest, but i know i will be getting Destiny on PS4 so i can play with friends so at least these is that this year (i believe the Order will slip into 2015).

Bought mine at launch with Killzone and Knack and the camera.

Still haven't completed Killzone or Knack.

Downloaded all the free PS+ games, liked Outlast - still haven't completed it.

Bought a red controller (love the controller)

Played the shit out of Infamous Second Son and platinum-ed it.

Back to collecting dust until the next big title.

I'm not even using it as a blu ray player, I'm still using the PS3 because I can use the remote for that.

I like the PS4 but it's at WiiU status right now, only being played when some big title comes out, then I go back to PC.

I love the fact that i own one.
    I regret that i don't play it as much as i thought i would.
    No, I don't really see it as useful yet.
    The official carry bag, works great.
    I sadly lack a VIta :(
    Most of the social functions... I feel they are underused.
    The ability to record gameplay and how quick you could go from home screen to game.
    Even though I've had it since launch and got sick of CoD, It's mainly been used for smaller multiplayer games, mostly Towerfall Ascension and Trials Fusion.

Really I'm just waiting for some big games to drop that will get me using it more.

Share my ps4 experience, well it has about 1 inch of dust on it and hasn't been turn on since I finished mgs ground zeroes

- Got it as a gift near-launch. Wouldn't buy it myself until a price drop.
    - I'm happy that games are mostly 1080p, some with AA! I am impressed. No longer is console lagging so far behind my PCs.
    - The controller is good. I picked up a blue one too.
    - AC4, Infamous, Skylanders, Knack - all good games with a next-gen feel. NFS Rivals was fucking terrible so I took at $45 loss on it and traded it in ASAP.
    - Some okay free titles on PS+, I'm sure bigger titles will arrive in a year or so.
    - No camera, Vita remote play via direct connection blows. 1m away from console and it lags. I'll have to play with the settings more.
    - I try to stream games to Twitch when I remember and when I play for a chunk of time. But alas Twitch is a bitch and won't let me upload 1080p fluidly, so I have to play with those settings too.
    - The UI is okay, but needs to be less 'big' and allow customisation of various things like PS3. It's a step back overall.
    - I'm happy that I have the premium console of this generation (so far). Come at me, if you disagree.

Last edited 22/05/14 12:56 pm

I agree with most of your points. I think the key to go into this with for the moment is that both consoles have some pretty big issues but for the most part are quite enjoyable already and, assuming the stuff gets fixed soon, we should be in for quite a ride this gen.

I do wonder if Sony are going to come out with another version of the controller though because the analogues going smooth really are a problem for me on what is otherwise a near perfect controller.

In all, they are enjoyable to own right now but there has yet to be anything that has 'wow'ed me for long. (Other than Infamous' graphics but the game was lacking in other areas) IE: they have solid foundations.

I think if anyone packed up their PS3/X360 collection and thought that a brand new console would suffice for all their entertainment needs... then they need to get a reality check. :P For now, this is a cool new 'future' device that I use when the relevant time comes.

TBH I'm not to bothered with the added stuff because my surround sound is a 'media player thingy' - technical term. And so I'm happy that it plays games well. I am happy with the visuals and if games continue to look like Killzone, Infamous or Metal Gear I will be ecstatic, they look good enough. But please no more BF4 etc 900p :/ and fix the app crashes, but that will of course come in due time.

Anyways yeah, the over all feel right now is just: Here play this shooter and this super power game, have a taste of what is to come. Which is IMO fine at this stage of the game.

Reasonably priced, but cant justify the purchase yet - at least not until Naughy Dog release their next game. I'll stick to the PS3 for MGS5

Last edited 22/05/14 1:09 pm