What's Inside Your Gaming PC?

What's Inside Your Gaming PC?

Gaming PCs are like snowflakes: Sometimes they melt. Also, no two are exactly the same. We already know that our readers generally prefer NVIDIA graphics cards to AMD, but I'm curious about more specifics.

Also, I just built a new PC, so I've got parts on the brain. My rig isn't as super-powered as the one Mike recently built, but it's respectable.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask you all what kind of rigs you use. Let's follow this template, so that everyone's sharing similar information:

PC Name: (The name you've given your PC on your home network)

CPU:

Cooling:

Graphics Card:

Motherboard:

Memory:

Storage:

Case:

Operating System:

When I last upgraded:

How it runs: (Here, just say how it runs, what kind of general performance you get with what settings, any weird things about it, etc.)

I'm curious to see what's inside your gaming PC, and hopeful that the answer isn't "cockroaches." Let's see some specs!

Comments

PC Name: Where are the damn flamingos.
    CPU: Core i3 2350m
    Cooling: Custom Laptop Cooling
    Graphics Card: nVidia GT520mx Overclocked 1GB
    Motherboard: Stock?
    Memory: 16GB
    Storage: Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
    Case: Laptop case :P
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 Update 1
    When I last upgraded: 2 weeks ago for ram.
    How it runs: As bad as this setup might sound. I can still run a number of games at High-Very High quality on 1980x1020. Including Far Cry 3, Fallout Series, Dishonored, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Trilogy and more at about 40FPS.
    A quick tip to people though, in my opinion. Tweaking Windows improves gaming on my PC about 20%. So it's definitely worth checking how to speed things up.

What kind of Windows tweaks? My laptop goes well most of the time, but at inopportune times just falls over in the fetal position and mutters quietly to itself.

PC Name: Luke_PC, yep, how original
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @ 3.2 GHz
    Cooling: 3 standard 120mm fans and a deepCool Arctic Ice CPU cooler
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M uATX
    Memory: 8Gb, nothing fancy here
    Storage: 2Tb HDD
    Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB
    Operating System: Windows 7
    When I last upgraded: About 18 months ago
    How it runs: Still runs alright, nothing special now, some games bottleneck and the CPU is now a couple of generations old.

Slow_pc
    Alienwware x51
    8 gig ram
    I7
    Standard everything else.
    Got it cheap on ebay and since i can't build my own PC it works well.

Last edited 17/07/14 7:36 am

Just built this for the missus 2 weeks ago, I game more on consoles with my mates, but will still be cranking Star Citizen, Civ: beyond earth etc.
    PC Name: Sarah-PC (she hasn't changed it yet)
    CPU: i7 4790
    Cooling: Just the 2 fans in the case, will add 1 more, but it doesn't get hot.
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte 770 4gb OC
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger
    Memory: 2x Ripjaw-x 8gb DDR3 at 1600 (so 16gb)
    Storage: 1tb WD 3.5" SATA3 (will move the os over to an SSD in a couple of weeks)
    Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer (Black)
    Power Supply: Coolermaster GX2 750w
    Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate
    When I last upgraded: 2 weeks ago.
    How it runs: Smashes Bioshock inf on Ultra or max locked to 60 at 1080p (because monitor). Cunning stunt bonus.

Side note: because the 770 is so large, I had to take a storage bay out. It was literally a case of 2mm and I didn't want to push too hard, you know?

Last edited 13/07/14 11:26 am

PC Name: Admin
    CPU: i5 3570k
    Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x
    Graphics Card: eVGA 660 TI
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory:16GB G-Skill sniper @ 1600
    Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo SSD & 2tb Segate Barracuda
    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
    When I last upgraded: Just recently upgraded from stock cooler.
    How it runs: Everything I want just fine. Witcher 3 might crush it though...

Edit*
    Cable management could be better but it is a bit limited by the non modular PSU.

Last edited 13/07/14 11:35 am

Mine is currently in the works, but the parts are final. Can't wait.

PC Name: Neon Fury
    CPU: i5 3570
    Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155
    Memory: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) DDR3
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB mSATA Solid State Drive & Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    When I last upgraded: N/A
    How it runs: N/A (hopefully like Usain Bolt)

Last edited 13/07/14 11:49 am

PC Name: Amanda
    CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz
    Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (cpu) + 6 case fans (it can run loud, but it gets hot where I live)
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-787X-UD4H
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Case: Corsair 500R (black)
    Operating System: Windows 7
    When I last upgraded: 2 Months ago
    How it runs: Pretty amazingly. The gpu stays surprisingly cool when running games on high settings (even with all case fans turned off), and I've not seen fps drop below 60 when running games. The fans can be loud, but I adjust them with speedfan to balance my room's temperature.

My PC is always changing, but after my AMD board fried I had a small budget and had to do what I could. I wouldn't call it a beast, but it's still very capable:

PC Name: OutATime (Go figure)
    CPU: Core i5 4440 (Upgraded from Phenom II x6 1090t on a tight budget)
    Cooling: Coolermaster 212 Plus and 4 silent blue LED fans
    Graphics Card: HIS ATI 7870 GHz (Going to upgrade to 780 soonish, hopefully)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333 (Also on it's way out)
    Storage: 128GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x500GB HDD's (My 2TB blew up, don't judge lol)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser A3 - Black
    Operating System: Windws 8
    When I last upgraded: Continuously upgrading little bits as it suits me. Lest upgrade was 2 months back.
    How it runs: Maxes out most games 1080p 30-60fps, mostly with 2xAA (Or more) Except really demanding games that I dial down to high for 60fps (60fps is my target)... Except GTA IV which runs at 20fps no matter what.

A good example is BF4 which I run at 1080p, medium with 2xAA at 90FPS because that game has stutter issues on some maps, so I try keep the FPS up. Not bad for a $200 CPU and $190 GPU huh? haha.

Last edited 13/07/14 11:44 am

PC Name: RAGNAROK

CPU: i5 2500k

Cooling: CM Hyper EVO 212

Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 290x

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3

Memory: 8GB G.Skill

Storage: 128GB Crucial SSD, 8TB HDDs

Case: Antec 1100

Operating System: Windows 7

When I last upgraded: built late 2011, gpu added last year

How it runs: Anything I play runs at max at a 1440p resolution.

Extras: Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, Viewsonic VP2770 monitor Ducky Shine Keyboard (brown switches), Logitech G400 mouse, Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones.

Last edited 13/07/14 11:44 am

PC Name: STAYOUT
    CPU: Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    Cooling: Stock CPU, 1x 8cm case fan at rear which doesn't work anymore
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX580 (1.5 or 2gb of ram... can't remember)
    Motherboard: Asus P6TD Deluxe
    Memory: 12Gb DDR3 1600 running in triple channel
    Storage: 7 standard HDD's totalling in around 4-5Tb. 1x 64gb ssd running the OS and 1x 256Gb SSD I use as my steam drive. /edit Also got a blu-ray burner. Forgot about it cos I hardly use it!
    Case: Antec something or other.. it's ancient and weighs a metric fuck tonne!
    Operating System: Windows 7
    When I last upgraded: around 2007-2008?
    How it runs: Barely skips a beat! Have zero troubles with it, 95% of the games I throw at it perform really well, and rendering 3d stuff is quick (to me anyway cos I have nothing to compare the results with). I'm hoping to upgrade this year. Just have to wait and see how soon I get a new job!

Last edited 13/07/14 12:04 pm

PC Name: Felix-PC
    CPU: intel 4770
    Cooling: Stock cooler and fans
    Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 280x Vapor Edition
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87n-WIFI
    Memory: G.Skill 16GB kit 1600Mhz
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
    Operating System: Mac 10.9.3 / Windows 8.1
    When I last upgraded: 8 months ago
    How it runs: Everything runs perfectly in each OS until you play games, where the R9 280x becomes very loud.

PC Name: Lexy_PC
    CPU: 3770K @ 4.8Ghz
    Cooling: Custom loop
    Graphics Card: 2x 670ftw
    Motherboard: Maxiums V Formula
    Memory: 16GB Dom platinum
    Storage: 128gb plextor ssd, 128gb intel ssd, lotta HDD's
    Case: NZXT Switch 810
    Operating System: Win 7
    When I last upgraded: Nothing since early 2013
    How it runs: Pretty darn quick, don't play games much anymore...

PC Name: The Silence (MicroATX for QHD/UHD)
    CPU:Intel Core i5 4690K Intel Core i5 4690K
    Cooling: 2x one for GPU one for CPU - NZXT Kraken X31 120mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
    Graphics Card:XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB
    Motherboard:MSI Z97M Gaming Motherboard Micro
    Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-2400C11Q-16GXM (4x4GB) DDR3
    Storage:M.2 Crucial M550 M.2 256GB SSD
    Case:Silverstone Fortress FT03B Black Micro -not the mini
    Operating System:Win.8 64bit normal
    Power:Cougar GX800 V3 800W 80 PLUS Gold Modular
    Monitor:Benq32
    When I last upgraded:month ago

How it runs: QHD - all at Ultra settings - the usual 4 game benched:
    Skyrim 100fps.
    Arma3 45fps.
    Bioshock Infinite 110fps.
    Metro Last Light 50fps.
    M.2 is a noticeable difference.
    Small and sexy form factor case, construction could be a lot better for the rrp but great inverted design and its set up for quite (PWM)
    Always been an Nvidia consumer and I was worried about driver issues - I have had none so the R290X is the best value card under $499 hands down for me - U Need 4gb for QHD and above.
    With so many prev. issues in the past I gave up on SLI- but the case has room should things change.
    I upgraded from a I5 2500k - assuming this was a bottleneck....it wasnt - didnt gain much for the $ investment
    Memtested the ram OK, OClocks well. CPU slightly OC but no real point. GPU slightly OC and faultless. This time instead of a full custom diy water loop I went the ready made option using the NZXT Kraken G10 GPU Bracket and on teh CPU given the small case - all fit well with a few minor case mods. Whilst I wont be able to OC to the extremes like my last rig - Its not like I need the full OC anyway - and it runs so SILENT even when having a HD game, and is now on top of the desk as a feature instead of hidden - I am so over the big ugly kiddy atx cases. The new Thin Micro (yes its a thing), Micro, Mini or custom desk I think is the way forward.

Used to run crossfire in a Silverstone fto3, was dead quiet but bloody hot. Thinking of modding and doing up a kraken setup in it as I love the case.

PC Name: GreenLantern
    CPU: 3570K @ 4.2Ghz
    Cooling: Intel watercooler
    Graphics Card: 2x 7970
    Motherboard: Maximus V gene
    Memory: 16GB corsair vengeance Pro
    Storage: 256gb plextor ssd, 1TB barra 3tb wd green
    Case: coolermaster Haf XB with 3x 120 front fan mod
    Operating System: Win 8.1
    When I last upgraded: second gpu in march
    How it runs: fast and cool. Being used as a htpc atm so both gpus are underclocked and it's rocking ultra at 60fps at low fan speeds and low temps (second 7970 in 4x slot for breathing space)

PC Name: Cubot
    CPU: 4960k
    Cooling: Noctua C-14 (love this cooler)
    Graphics Card: gigabyte 770gtx
    Motherboard: Asrock z87m extreme 4
    Memory: 8gb 2133mhz kingmax
    Storage: 250gb samsung 840 evo and two big green drives
    Case: Corsair 350d m-atx case
    Operating System: Win 7
    When I last upgraded: Erm, when were q6600's and 560ti's in vogue?
    How it runs: I went from struggling along in bf3 to looking down on ps4 games.

PC Name: Phantom

CPU:Intel Core i7 3770 3.40GHz

Cooling: I has a fan

Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 650 Ti Boost

Memory: 8 gig DDR3?

Operating System: Windows 7

When I last upgraded: Got this PC from a friend when he upgraded

How it runs: I assume it runs good

PC Name: Tungsten
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz
    Cooling: Stock cooler
    Graphics Card: GTX 660 Ti
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M Pro
    Memory: 16GB (4 x Corsair CML16GX3M4X1600C7)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 (120gb), Seagate Barracuda (2TB)
    Case: Fractal Define R4
    Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
    When I last upgraded: About a year ago
    How it runs: Better than I do

PC Name: Cookie Monster
    CPU: i5 4670k 3.40GHz
    Cooling: NZXT Havik 140
    Graphics Card: MSI GTX 760 Overclocked 4GB
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Storage: 160GB Samsung HDD, 500GB WD Black HDD, 4TB WD Red HDD & external 1TB WD HDD
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    When I last upgraded:This was built in early Feb this year, the only things ive added to it were 500GB WD Black and a 4TB WD Red.
    How it Runs: Perfectly fine, I was surprised by how quiet she runs though with 4 fans and the mother of a CPU cooler. It also glows blue.

About to build this very soon so might as well share.

PC Name: no idea

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 3.4Ghz (perhaps overclocked some day)

Cooling: 2x 120mm and 1x 140mm stock case fans + Enermax ETS-T40-BK 120mm CPU Cooler

Graphics Card: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 290 4GB

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ATX Mobo

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2400

Storage: 3TB WD Green HDD + Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid-Tower Case

Operating System: Windows 8

When I will upgrade: A week or so

How it runs: I'm pretty sure this will take on any current FPS on ultra settings @ 60fps (or very close to it)

PC Name: Hot Box
    CPU: Intel i5 4570
    Cooling: Noctua U14S,
    Graphics Card: MSI GTX560
    Motherboard: Asrock H87M-PRO4
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Low Profile RAM White
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 4TB Seagate storage drive.
    Case: Silverstone SUGO SG10
    Power Supply: Corsair RM650
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit
    When I last upgraded: This year, Incremental upgrades each year.
    How it runs: Works fantastic, is able to stream videos with PLEX throughout the network from the 4TB hard drive, runs games at high settings on 1080p. The PSU fan hardly turns on since it barely hits 40% load. Only issue is the graphics card gets loud on load and heats quite a bit, that'll be the next upgrade.

Last edited 13/07/14 1:34 pm

PC Name: Munter-PC
    CPU: i7-4770k @ 3.5GHz
    Cooling: Stock (I know 4770k and a stock I should be publicly stoned)
    Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti SC
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
    Memory: 16Gb G-Skill
    Storage: 128Gb A-DATA preimer pro/3TB western digital black
    Case: CM storm scout 2 N2 edition
    Operating System: Win7 home premium
    When I last upgraded: october 2013 (built then)
    How it runs: Flawless almost everything ultra 60fps at 1080p

PC Name: Fiona (after the character in Shrek)
    CPU: Intel i5 4690K Stock Clock (for now)
    Cooling: Corsair H100i Push Pull with 5 120mm fans and a 230mm
    Graphics Card: MSI NVidia 750 Ti
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 iTX AC Gaming Motherboard
    Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) 2133MHz Corsair Vengence
    Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD + 4TB Western Digital HDD
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy, Green
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64
    When I last upgraded: Fresh Build as of days ago
    How it runs: Like a dream, every game runs like clockwork, [email protected] with average to high settings.

NOTE: I intend to get the first 800 series NVidia card I can, probably an 880.

PC Name: TED
    CPU: i5 2500K (OC to 4.4ghz)
    Cooling: Antec closed loop water push pull, 2x200mm fans
    Graphics Card: MSI Radeon 6950 (shaders unlocked and OC to 6970 spec)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte UD3R
    Memory: 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw
    Storage: 240GB Crucial SSD, 500GB WD Black, 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green
    Case: Corsair 600T
    Operating System: Win8.1
    When I last upgraded: SSD about two months ago, otherwise when I built it in Jan 2012.
    How it runs: Pretty fantastic considering it's age, I've contemplated upgrading to a new video card and doubling the RAM but it really hasn't felt necessary yet. Runs most new games on high settings and I rarely have any issues with anything else, nothing I haven't been able to sort out at least.

Last edited 13/07/14 1:41 pm

PC Name: It has no name
    CPU: AMD 8350 4.0 GHz to lazy to over clock it
    Cooling: Cooler master EVO 212
    Graphics Card: ASUS AMD Direct CUII 7970 3Gb
    Motherboard: 990FXA-UD3
    Memory: Corsair vengeance 8Gb LP
    Storage: 128 adata SSD, 1tb seagate 7200 drive
    Case: Corsair 540 air
    Operating System:Windows 8.1 64bit of course
    When I last upgraded: first rig I built from the ground up, all my past ones where frankenstein builds
    How it runs: hahahahahaha