Someone is willing to pay more than $US1000 for a fancy version of Bungie’s next big video game. That’s almost 10 times what the Ghost edition of Destiny costs. For that much cash, you better be able to go to the moon too.
The Ghost edition of Destiny sold out very quickly after being announced early last month, at a retail price of $US150. Like other collectible variants of big-budget video games, it comes with a bunch of limited-edition knick-knacks:
- Limited Edition SteelBook™ Case and Game Disc
- Ghost Replica: This is your motion-sensing Ghost, featuring lights and audio from the game. May it lead you through the Darkness.
- Letter of Introduction: These worlds were once ours. If you accept your destiny, you will be asked to do the impossible.
- Golden Age Relics, which include a Patch, Sticker, and two Chrome slides of the Traveller
- Guardian Folio, containing:
- “Arms and Armament” Field Guide: Many believe the weapons and armour featured in this record are a myth. -You will learn the truth.
- Postcards from the Golden Age: Our worlds have been claimed by our enemies. Now, it’s time to take them back.
- Antique Star Chart: Explore the wild frontiers of our solar system. Discover all that we have lost.
- Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has also provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:
- A Unique Ghost Casing
- An Exclusive Player Emblem
- An Exclusive Player Ship Skin
- Includes the Destiny Expansion Pass
Apparently, people want that stuff pretty badly, especially since Bungie has hinted that they won’t be making more of these:
Will you release more Ghost editions?
No promises. We wanted to release limited editions that were actually limited. When you play the game, you’ll appreciate the appearance of exotic loot because not everyone will have it. The same goes for the editions of Destiny that have been designed for collectors. If you can find one, collect it.
One poster on NeoGAF reports that a friend received a winning bid of $US1025 on his pre-ordered Ghost edition. Other auctions for the special edition of Destiny are hitting a median range of $US300, which is double what the standard price is.
As far the video game stuff that people pay big bucks for on eBay, yeah, shelling out $US1000 for a Destiny Ghost Edition is quite an indulgence. But it’s not as bad as some of the other things people have paid a lot of money for, like Titanfall beta keys, iPhones with the original version of Flappy Bird or pictures of an Xbox One. Still, a thousand bucks could buy you loads of other video games too…