Tell Us Dammit: Make A Top 5 List. Of Anything.

Yesterday I tweeted this, just a simple top five list of my favourite consoles. I expected people to argue with me but they didn't. Instead they just started making their own completely random lists.

So here's today's challenge: make your own top five list. About anything you goddamn want.

Here are a couple of mine.

1. Halo 2. Halo 3 3. Halo 2 4. Halo: Reach 5. Halo: ODST

1. Ken 2. Ryu 3. Guile 4. Sagat 5. Blanka

1. Vagabond 2. Pluto 3. Slam Dunk 4. Monster 5. Ping Pong

Man, I could go on all day long. Let's hear some of yours.

Comments

1. Kerfuffle

Beautiful.

just putting this out there....im going to go through and start guessing what peoples lists are. anyone care to help me? Some of my guesses MAY be tongue in cheek.

Update edit: I did two and got bored. Project over.

Last edited 26/02/15 4:22 pm

1. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
    2. Age of Empires 2
    3. Age of Mythology
    4. Railroad Tycoon 3
    5. Rome: Total War

... you can guess what this is a list of ;)

Last edited 26/02/15 11:25 am

1. The Loneliest Number
    2. Tea
    3. A Crowd
    4. Horsemen of the Apocalypse
    5. Alive

Sorry in advance if this becomes a personal question but is your user name taken from a certain animated purple alien from 90's cartoons?

Well, normally I'd wait for you to buy me a drink first, but the answer is no.

Widget?

No there actually was a cartoon called Mawt (or Mot, I can't remember the spelling, only the sound).

It basically took the old "There's a monster in my closet" and spun it around long before Monsters Inc.

Basically the main character and his human friend, Leo, would go into the closet and travel to parallel worlds and Leo tries to do what he can to keep Mot/Mawt hidden fearing they might hand him over to the authorities (if I remember right).

EDIT: Nope, it was called Mot. My bad.

Last edited 26/02/15 4:59 pm

And now..a repeat from the twitters..

1. Head

5. repeat 3&4

1. 7 Wonders
    2. Hanabi
    3. Qwirkle
    4. Agricola
    5. The Resistance

Played 7 Wonders + the new Babel expansion last night. Pretty good. Also played Archipelago, which I love. Have you tried it?

I've played Archipelago once. It was fun but it's a game that needs a few tries to really gel. Lots of great ideas in it.

Yeah very dense and brain melty. Now that I have a regular group who know the rules it's starting to open up and become more fun, but damn it took a while

Last edited 26/02/15 12:49 pm

Someones a fan of Bauza - I agree with your number 1. Not so much your number 2 (but I do think its an amazing idea).

My list would be:

1. 7 Wonders
      2. Ghost Stories
      3. Dixit
      4. Mysterium
      5. Red 7
      6. Super Rhino (yes, I know its only from 1-5, Super Rhino makes its own rules!)

It wasn't a "best game" list but more a "games I like to thrust on people."

I'm pretty willing to defend Hanabi as a solid contender in a top 5 game list (probably lower down). It's a brilliant execution of a simple concept that leads to a great game about communication. We have a house rule that whenever someone plays a 5, everyone at the table shouts "Hanabi!" Any game that lets you say the name often is a winner in my books (which is why Qwirkle is up there too).

And yes, I'm a huge fan of Bauza. Dude just makes games that click for me.

Last edited 26/02/15 1:41 pm

I think my main reason for not liking Hanabi is how seriously people play it in our group - just way too serious, and they will publicly call out anyone who makes a bad move. Also, I like to talk a lot of rubbish while I play.

We can get grumbly when someone makes a silly mistake but normally we just give them shit.

1. The Spoony One
    2. JonTron
    3. ProJared
    4. Angry Video Game Nerd
    5. Kinda Funny

Spoony at 1 even though he hasn't made a lot of content in 2 years.

The Ultima 9 review cements his number one spot for eternity.

Besides he still makes content, it's posted on his site.

1. 90s

5. 4

Nah.

1. 0
        2. 1
        3. i
        4. pi
        5. e (the natural logarithm base, not the elementary charge.)

I have a *book* at home about zero. (And another about infinity, but there are lots of those.)

The golden ratio would be 6th. I'd probably put 12 7th, not for any particular reason, but because I just like 12.

That's a good list. Mine was just limited to the numbers 1 through 5.

Why is 1 so special?

Oh, so many reasons. It's so simple, but so fundamental.

For a start, there's Euler's Identity, which uses every number in my list exactly once:
            e^(pi * i) + 1 = 0.

It's the lowest positive integer. The logarithm of 1 to *any* base is zero. It's present in every single positional number base. It's the only integer which is a divisor of every other (positive) integer, including all primes. It's the only number which can be multiplied by any other number to give that number; the only number "n" for which m^n=m in all cases. Contrariwise, the only number n for which m/n=n in all cases. For any angle, add the squares of its since and cosine, and the total is one. The sum of the reciprocal of all positive powers of 2 (1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...) is 1.

Lots of other relationships like those. Without 1, we really don't have mathematics.

Ask a real mathematician and they could probably talk for hours. I'm at best an enthusiastic amateur.

1. Kevin Garnett
      2. Michael Jordan
      3. LeBron James
      4. Vince Carter
      5. Andre Drummond

Garnett ? really :P ?

He is ma BOY. It's favourite players, not best. I need more than 5 spots though, there's too many.

haha it's the case with everything really :P

cannot wait for 2k16 :) full body scans FTW!

1. Manchester United
      2. Minnesota Timberwolves
      3. All Blacks
      4. Boston Celtics
      5. Dutch Female Hockey Team

1. Tea (milk and one sugar)
      2. Hot Chocolate

5. MGS Peace Walker

1a) Cuban Linx
            1b) Supreme Clientele
            3) Liquid Swords
            4) Ironman
            5) Cuban Linx 2

I hesitated to put linx2 on there, even if it is a banger, mainly because I listened to Tical over and over in year 10 so it's burned into my brain forever.

1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    2. Chris Pratt
    3. Charlie Hunnam
    4. Ryan Gosling
    5. Sam Worthington

3+4 phrwooooarrrr

(Watched Only God Forgives last night)

I think Micheal Fassbender needs a spot too! XD

What'd you think of Only God Forgives? Opinions seem mixed!

Last edited 26/02/15 11:46 am

I liked it, really into the atmosphere and eerie-ness of it. Great colour palette too.

It was pretty, and Gosling was there so 10/10 for that (god that scene where he gets his wrists tied... oh man), but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. Good lord it was gory too. Woof.

Drive will always be better.

I only agree with 3/5 of those. And mostly number 1 because he seems like a lovely guy.

1. 0x6C
    2. 0x6F
    3. 0x6C
    4. 0x6A
    5. 0x6B

Lemme guess, is this your top five list of (life) pointers? :-P

Boo!

AAAGH!

*Jumps.*

1. Ceiling Plaster
          2. Insulation
          3. Tiling
          4. Tin roof
          5. Solar Panels.

These are too low in address space to be pointers =P

*Slaps own face.*

I gotta get back to C programming. But thanks for the laughs.

Last edited 26/02/15 11:59 am

your favourite list of stop error codes?

I think they usually start in the 8000 range, but it's been forever since I actually saw one. These are ASCII hex codes.

nah they start all the way down to 0x01

0x0000000A IRQL not less or Equal is a modern day classic.

Well there you go. It's been that long since I've seen one I've forgotten their range =)

Hehehehe. He's the bigger question. Who *wants* to remember them given the heart ache they cause on Windows? :-P.

1. G
    2. A
    3. F
    4. F (octave lower)
    5. C

I was mentally playing that in my head (nice reference!) and it reminded me of this for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XbQsjRc7L0

Serrels - I expect to see a Top 5 list of Top 5 lists taken from this thread tomorrow.

1. Battle! Lorekeeper Zinnia
    2. Archie/Maxie Battle
    3. Trainer Battle (HG/SS)
    4. Champion Diantha Battle

Vooks.net

1. Posh
    2. Ginger
    3. Baby
    4. Sporty
    5. Scary

well that was during the late 90's, posh is much further down the list now and scary and sporty are more elevated.

1: Chakra
    2: Mint
    3: Arch
    4: Kali
    5: Manjaro

*want to try, not preferred

1. Full Throttle
    2. Monkey Island
    3. Grim Fandango
    4. Day of the Tentacle/Maniac Mansion (amended!)
    5. Sam and Max

Last edited 26/02/15 12:02 pm

I'd put Day of the Tentacle where Maniac Mansion is... because you can play Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle! :D

I hope that if there's another sequel in the series, you can play DOTT inside a computer in that... so you can play MM inside DOTT inside DOTT2!

*brainmelts from metaoverdose*

1. @markserrels
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. Mark Knopfler
    4. Mark Twain
    5. Marky Mark (Honourable mention: The Funky Bunch)

Fantastic Hamill interview on the Schmoes Know network last week, worth watching for the interviewers have an absolute Nerdgasm after the interview finished.