Path of Exile, the action RPG from the NZ-based Grinding Gears, has been kicking goals for a while now. Running a free-to-play, online game is a risky move, yet the Kiwi developer has managed to succeed where so many have failed. Double-extra good news — it’s just announced a new expansion, The Awakening, and a closed beta to beat it into shape.
For the video-inclined, Curse has put together a first-look that will take you through the highlights. On the other hand, if you enjoy reading, there’s a great breakdown over at Gamepedia. Now, if that’s too much, Blue’s News has distilled the main features into point form:
- New Act 4
- 11 new skills, 9 new boss fights, 90 new unique items
- Closed Beta opening on April 20 (by application, starting small and getting extended)
- Passive tree rework
- Ability to socket new Jewels into the passive tree for special effects in nearby area
- Rework of existing content
- New quality of life additions
- Script-able loot drop filter to completely customise filter/colour/highlight/border/sound of drop levels
- Net code rewrite! New Lockstep mode available, offering a “wait for server and only show the truth” mode on top of the existing “prediction + desync” mode!
As mentioned above, the beta begins Monday after next and you’ll need to register your interest before then to be involved.
Path of Exile: The Awakening [Gamepedia]