If your FTL itch needs scratching and nothing has managed to satiate you, Space Rogue, a new entry to Steam's Early Access might be just the thing, especially if you enjoy the look and feel of Subset Games' popular title.
Given it's in Early Access, all the usual caveats apply, but the presentation is slick and the video shows a lot of promise. It's currently 34 per cent off, though with the plunging price of indie games, $US19.79 might still be too rich for some.
The gameplay is presented in 2D fashion, but the underlying graphics definitely extend in all three dimensions.
If you do take the plunge, here are the features you can look forward to:
- Every playthrough is different from the last — the entire world is generated, from scratch, each time you start a new game
- 6 races with distinct features and battle tactics
- Fast and exciting space battles
- More than 200 random events and quests (and that's just the beginning!)
- Ability to mine planets for minerals. Exploration for exploitation!
- Sandbox mode in which you can fine-tune the game world generation algorithm and core game parameters.
- Stylish graphics inspired by the golden age of science fiction
- Atmospheric "retro" soundtrack
An FAQ is available, which answers some of the more pressing questions about the game. And before you ask, no, it's in no way related to the original Space Rogue.
Space Rogue [Steam]