We've been waiting for Warner Bros to release a huge patch for Batman: Arkham Knight on PC to address the game's huge technical shortcomings, but it's not coming for another "few weeks". Last we heard, it was supposed to come out this month.
If you're not familiar with what went wrong with Arkham Knight on PC, read my report on it. In short, the game runs like crap, Warner Bros. knew it would, and they stopped selling the game.
"The teams have been working hard to address the issues with the PC version of the game," the publisher said in a recent update on Steam. "We are happy to confirm that we are now putting the first interim patch into testing. If all goes well, we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks. We'll be sure to report back in the next two weeks on how the testing is coming along."
There's some confusing language there. Even though the patch is expected in "the next few weeks," we'll hear how "testing is coming along" in two weeks. It doesn't seem like Warner Bros. wants to promise anything before they're ready to deliver, so the timing remains vague.
Of course, that makes sense. At this point, you can't even buy Arkham Knight on PC and the word-of-mouth has been terrible. When this patch is released, it really needs to do its job.
The company outlined what its top priorities are with this patch, too:
- Reduced frame rate hitches
- Optimised system memory and VRAM usage
- Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
- Min Spec AMD GPU is once again the Radeon HD 7870 2GB
More Robust In-Game Settings, including:
- Added the ability to change settings for Max FPS to 30/60/90
- Added toggles for Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain
- Added a "High" Texture Resolution value
- Added Texture Filtering option
- Added an Adaptive V-Sync option (NVIDIA only)
- Added VRAM Usage Meter
- Added Mouse Sensitivity Slider & Mouse Smoothing Option
- Fixed low resolution texture bugs
- Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)
Even if you already own Arkham Knight on PC, Warner Bros. hasn't delivered any season pass content for that version of the game. (That might not be a big deal -- it hasn't been good so far.)
So once this mythical patch drops -- and assuming it works -- they're hoping to focus on this:
- Skipping the boot up splash screens
- DLC/Season Pass content
- Additional updates such as Photo Mode
The waiting game continues.