Holy Shit, Final Fantasy VII's Cloud Is Coming To Smash Bros.

Holy Shit, Final Fantasy VII's Cloud Is Coming To Smash Bros.

I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS IS HAPPENING BUT IT'S HAPPENING. Cloud from Final Fantasy VII is going to be a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros.

There's no word on a release date -- or price -- just yet, but Nintendo says they're planning a special Smash Bros. presentation for December. In the meantime, here's the trailer, if you want to take a trip into the surreal:

Comments

Man, we have just had to add Kotaku and Gizmodo to the banned list for school research now, which is a shame as it was a great resource for topics relevant to the primary school kids.

Do we really need it right there in the title?

That is cool news, but I would have preferred a paragraph or two of actual journalism/story in there.

Smash Bros is becoming huge, who will be next on the Roster?

Ah, title has changed... but the original title is still there in the URL if anyone is now wondering what I was talking about.

Last edited 13/11/15 10:45 am

I know what you were talking about, hence my slightly sarcastic initial comment 'Cool?'

Your point of "banned for school research" still stands, funnily enough.

I get what you're saying, I don't get why swearing is becoming prevalent in the titles and content? They had an F bomb in the iPad pro article earlier, and Luke Hopewell defended it, saying it's a common word etc. While I get it's a gaming site, I don't quite see sites such as gamespot or IGN doing the same thing. I'm no prude, but when we do talk about ethics in journalism, surely a better degree of discourse entails keeping the articles as widely accessible as possible? i.e. keeping foul language out?

Eh, I say fuck it. Who fucking cares about our fucking language. Especially since we're all fucking Australian.

People who can have a conversation without slathering it with swearing :P

Plus, I swear with the best of them, but, as a teacher, I like to use Kotaku frequently, but unfortunately, cannot now, as the swear filter will most definitely pick it up.

I can hold a fucking conversation. Who the fuck says I can't? It's really good for fucking emphasis.

Yeah, same problem here re teaching, and it is a real shame as the kids love the site. This felt even more off being a 'Nintendo' article, which is usually pretty safe content wise for the schools to access.

I get the feeling if I replied to the iPad article with a comment saying that iPad is cunt-suckingly, tit-bustingly, cock-gobblingly huge, that the comment may have been censored.
            Luke commented that he didn't see a problem with swearing in the articles, but I don't see them dropping C-Bombs into the article headings any time soon.

Regardless though, I don't think it adds anything to the articles themselves, so just don't see the point, it just artificially restricts the audiences while not really adding much on the upside.
            I normally try to avoid swearing in the comments, probably out of habit from teaching, but I just don't really see what the point of it is in the titles and atricles themselves.
            Especially when there isn't even any article under the title anyway!

Last edited 13/11/15 11:04 am

So hang on let me get this straight - when I went to school I had to read Sons and Lovers and Oscar and Lucinda and yet nowadays Kotaku is part of the curriculum!!!?

NSW dept of education I demand a refund of the 6 years you bored me to death!

Hmm I wonder they can adjust my HSC marks for inflation - the same way they do movie grosses!?

Except it somehow can put a conversation into moderation mode here on Kotaku comments.

Last edited 13/11/15 11:16 am

Fanboyism reactions and subsequent language just doesn't seem fitting for a gaming news site. Tumblr blog or Facebook comment maybe but that sort of a reaction just doesn't feel - dare I say - professional.

Really, I don't know why and I hate myself for this, but....this makes me pretty angry...

You don't have smash? Never played FF7?

I have both of those things lol.

Well, i guess it just reminds me of decades old threads where people would complain "They should put Master Chief in this." or "They need to have Cloud", which enraged me back in the day, mainly cos i didnt see a fit at all....

This looks to be one of those articles that is posted on an internal Kotaku message board, and someone thinks it's a good idea to just republish it to the general public.

Good job, whoever's idea that was.

so...Ryu vs Cloud then? nice.

Last edited 13/11/15 10:57 am

People will be lining up for the inevitable Amibo.

Why Cloud? The most well known Playstation era Final Fantasy character in a Nintendo game. He has nothing to do with Nintendo at all.

He is very popular. Look at snake. Although he did sneak in on GC.

What would be good though is if FFVII remake came to NX as well - that would send a message and heads would explode!

One could argue he's tied in via the Kingdom Hearts series. As their spin off games have appeared on Nintendo handhelds.

"Why Sonic? The most well known Mega Drive era SEGA character in a Nintendo game. He has nothing to do with Nintendo at all."

There were at least a few main Sonic games and those Mario/Sonic Olympic games on Wii prior to him being in SSBB. Unless FF7 remake comes to NX which still doesn't make sense since it's coming to PS4 first then this is a really stupid choice.

Jesus Fucking Christ...... move along I just felt like swearing for every little thing.

I heard about this from a Final Fantasy Board i frequent, oh Cloud you're in everything these days haha

He looks like a pretty sweet character for Smash though =)

I really would like to hear the story how this happened. Knowing Japanese corporate bureaucracy and near paranoid caginess this is almost unimaginable. They even threw in chocobos, the 5 better known summon monsters and a Midgar stage

Having Cloud in Smash Bros just seems kind of awkward and inappropriate... I mean, he's the poster-boy for Square giving the middle finger to Nintendo! Now he's apparently a Nintendo mascot?? FF7 has never even been on a Nintendo system! What is the game list on his trophy page going to say? "First appeared in... Theatrhythm?"

Surely Terra or Mog would have been a much better choice...?

Last edited 13/11/15 3:02 pm

Yeah exactly. Or even a Black Mage.

Or Geno.

Did anyone else notice my comment from above was removed for pointing people to a GameSpot article that actually contained facts and wasn't just a title which said "Jesus Fucking Christ FF VII's Cloud Is Coming To Smash Bros" with a picture below with a caption of some random nonsense.

The fact it says the comment was inappropriate is utter shit. Maybe when you post actual articles I won't need to point people somewhere else to get some actual facts.

Also how about the article name? and the web address link? Is that not inappropriate??

"http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/jesus-fucking-christ-ffviis-cloud-is-coming-to-smash-bros/"

I wouldn't worry about it. The site has been on a steady decline for sometime now.

Not only the site, but the YouTube. They do as much quality control as Steam. The only decent thing to come from that channel is the Highlight Reel, Kotaku How To and some of those Instant Replay videos. All of the other filler content is utter trash and the like/dislike ratio shows it yet they just keep uploading trash.

I also noticed they disabled ratings and comments on the Splitscreen "podcast" thing now so I am assuming they know people don't like it, but what does matter, gotta get that YouTube monay.

Final fantasy is started on NES, Cloud is FFs main man. Makes perfect sense.

By the logic, it would make more sense to use the Warrior of Light. Have the stage be set at the 'final battle,' with Chaos occasionally appearing and having the four elemental fiends appear (instead of the summons).

Last edited 17/11/15 7:32 pm

at 1:56 Cloud shattered my limit! Did I just see summons >< If I had $$ for Wii it would just be because of this nostalgic trailer too damn cool