Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has proven to be a hit, selling five million copies worldwide. According to today's Nikkei, the Tokyo-based fitness company has began internal talks about the next Metal Gear title.
The print edition of Nikkei (via 2ch) reports that Konami is mulling over plans for another title in the popular stealth series. The newspaper adds that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who is apparently on vacation, has not said whether or not he'll be involved in the next title.
Seeing how Konami took Kojima's name off The Phantom Pain's box art, dissolved his studio, and canned Silent Hills, it's hard to see him staying on (though, who knows how this will all play out) — especially considering the rumours about Konami's work environment. Recently, Kojima said what seemed to be his goodby to the series.
"When we start development, a large-scale investment will become necessary," Konami is quoted as saying by the recent Nikkei article.
Nikkei reports that details about the game, including a release date, haven't been announced yet — obviously. While the paper reports that Konami is merely examining plans for another Metal Gear, Konami previously stated it would continue making more games in this stealth series.
This comes amid rumours that Konami just shuttered the studio formally known as Kojima Productions LA. How's that for timing?
Via VG247, Duke Nukem co-creator George Broussard tweeted this out:
BREAKING: Rumor tells me that Konami has shut down the Kojima Productions LA studio, taking with it approx 35 jobs, just before Xmas.
— George Broussard (@georgeb3dr) November 3, 2015
Sony Computer Entertainment of American producer Sam Thompson had this to say:
Really sad news about the loss of Konami's Los Angeles studio. Happy thoughts to all those affected. End of an era for sure, stay strong.
— Venice Beach Gandalf (@PortableKingpin) November 2, 2015
Kotaku reached out to Konami prior to publication, but hasn't yet received a comment.