For some, weather might just seem like a small detail within Fallout 4. But for PC gamers, this environmental element is pretty damn important. Over at the Nexus Fallout 4 mod portal, "True Storms" by fadingsignal has been the most popular mod for Fallout 4 over the last two weeks. The cool thing about True Storms is that it completely revamps the weather system within Fallout 4. Thunder, rain, rad storms, dust storms, and fog have all gotten a face lift (or in some cases, are newly-introduced into the game). The result is a ridiculously atmospheric post-apocalypse.
Look at this video by FadingSignalMods. You can tell that it's a joy to just walk around in Fallout 4 with this mod on, soaking in everything around you. It's like the video game version of those soothing rain websites. Other weather effects completely transform the wasteland too, making it a more ominous place to explore. I like it!
Even radiation storms, which are normally rather annoying within the game, add to the experience with this rehaul. Awesome.
The full feature list, according to fadingsignal:
- Intense visuals during rainstorms — distant fork and sheet lightning in the sky!
- All-new heavy rain/dust textures, materials, visual effects, and particle geometry for truly heavy storms!
- No more "white rain" - particle materials are now using proper alpha blending and lighting, and are effected by the ambient lighting conditions.
- 20 all-new, intense thunder sounds, and a new method for much more unpredictable/random playback.
- New interior sounds for all weathers: wind, rain, radstorm, and thunder sounds for all rain types, but only inside locations where it makes sense.
- New weather types, with new particles/materials, including radiation rain, heavy dust storms, heavy fogs, heavy/light rain, and more!
- Weather chances have been slightly altered to give a little bit more diversity (the vanilla game heavily favours sunny weather.)
- Weather will stick around just a little bit longer — you will no longer experience 4 or 5 different weathers in a single day.
- Vanilla night brightness and several darkness levels available, for compatibility with darker nights mods.
- Volume slider for new thunder and rain sounds to give you more control for your audio setup.
- Heavy Fog and Light Fog - The Commonwealth at midnight when fog is rolling through is absolutely chilling. (Fog effects by Prod80!)
- Heavy and Light Rain - Rain storms are now heavy and loud, but there's still a chance for soft rain, also with it's own textures and sounds.
- Radiation Rain - Rads fall from the sky in two variants, heavy with 8 rads/sec (better pop a Rad-X!) and light rain, at 1 rad/sec.
- Heavy Dust Storm - Very low chance to occur, but you won't want to get stuck outside when this hits.
To really get a sense of how much this mod reworks, it's worth watching this video by hodilton — you can see some comparison footage.