Video: Acer's new Predator gaming laptops put extra emphasis on cooling to optimise performance. Features include two rear-exhaust fans and custom software that directs airflow -- which also reduces dust and noise. The laptops also come with 'Frostcore', a cooling module that fits into the optical drive for intense gaming sessions. Let's take a look.
Shipping with Windows 10, the Predator 15 starts from $2999, and the 17 from $3299 in Australia.
Acer Predator 15 review configuration --hit up Acer Australia for full specs.
- Windows 10
- 15.6" LCD screen
- Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 16 GB of DDR4 system memory
- 256GB SSD & 1000GB HDD
- 8-cell Li-ion battery
- Blu-ray Disc RE drive
- 802.11ac WLAN
- Frostcore fan module
- HD Camera
• FrostCore: An Acer-exclusive third fan module from Cooler Master that swaps out with the optical drive to lower the CPU/GPU temp by 5 per cent.
• DustDefender: Two fans and vents on the back of the device that use reverse rotation to remove dust build-up, improve heat dissipation and reduce noise. Added benefit of helping to improve the laptop's lifespan.
• AeroBlade: Acer claims to have patented the world's thinnest metal fan blade and a process built on its efficiency that improves thermals by a further 9 per cent.
• CoolBoost: Lastly, Acer's CoolBoost app lets you customise fan airflow, including kicking into a turbo mode for heavy use.
Acer's PredatorSense gaming software also lets you tailor macro programmable keys for up to 15 in-game shortcuts and adjustable lighting controls. The Predator ProZone backlit keyboard is divided into four lighting zones which can be lit or dimmed individually and features a programmable key. And a dedicated physical key allows gamers to lock both the Windows key and touchpad quickly to prevent accidental key presses.
Both the 15-Inch and 17-Inch Predator laptops support up to three displays, pack in four built-ins speakers (plus two subwooofers), and include USB 3.1 Type-C support. [Acer Predator]