You Gotta See China's Super Smash Bros. Rip-Off

It's really quite something else. Slated for mobile, Pocket All-Stars Smash Bros. might sound like Smash Bros. How it plays, though, is totally different.

Forget the recent Splatoon clone, this one is even more brazen. Under the game's Chinese title, it reads "Smash Bros." (スマッシュブラザーズ) in Japanese. Smash Bros., it's not.

Reproduction classics?

As pointed out by Twitter users Pangtao (Weibo, here) and ZhugeEX, the game features characters from Smash Bros.

Pangtao tells Kotaku that the game is card-based and turn-based with players able to level up their characters.

And buy stuff, too, it seems.

You can watch twenty minutes or so below.

According to Pangtao, many Chinese gamers want Nintendo to deal with knock-offs like this (ditto for Splatoon rip-off), because they do more harm than go to the whole Chinese game market.

Pocket All-Stars Smash Bros. was released today in China. Kotaku reached out to Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters for comment, but did not hear back prior to publication.


Comments

    Looks more like the battle system from the Mario & Luigi games.

    Zero shits given by the Chinese.

    Last edited 01/07/16 6:30 pm

    This is weird.

    https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/748291879981178880

    Dude is calling the CGI from the actual game impressive work 'created by' the devs of this mobile game.

    It's like saying Captain America is Superman.

    You really can say anything on social media and people will believe it.

      Lol he is obviously joking. I follow the guy, 20% of his tweets are actual insight into the industry (a lot about China) the other 80% are terrible jokes. Thankfully websites stick to reporting on the serious tweets and not his jokes :P

    It has Mega Man! Finally! A new Mega Man game! Entirely not official... But, Mega Man!

      Wow, and so soon after the other one! What a time to be alive.

        I know, right?! Who needs a time machine to the 80's?!

          If it's shaped like a Delorean or a Blue Police Box, I'll take it anyway. Also I can get proper sized Killer Pythons and good tasting Jelly Beans.

Join the discussion!

Trending Stories Right Now