Welcome to Talk Amongst Yourselves, AKA ‘TAY’. Organise meet-ups, talk about games, talk about anything you want! Consider this the unofficial Kotaku Australia forum. Become a TAYbie today and join the best and friendliest community on the internet!

Comments

Twisted my ankle and knee in paintball trying to descend down this hill that our team was on. Fell down it 4 times before I reached the bottom. Aaaabsolutely worth it. Now I'm keen on getting a PB-Marker.

I just got to the centre in No Man's Sky.

Don't do what I did. Just wander around enjoying random planets instead. This is what the game is meant to be. Rushing to the centre is not worth the effort, and you will still see the same mix and match critters.

That said, I did make a video of a bunch of the weirder critters I've found:

Ugh. Just not feeling it today. Shortly I gotta go see my boss & ask him about the stuff staff members have been telling me he has allegedly been saying about me behind my back. If true I feel really disappointed in him, I honestly thought he & I were starting to get a long :/ Like I don't think he's a bad manager & all I think is he might need a little encouragement since he doesn't always seem very confident in the role.

Good luck man. I've had a few bad bosses and have never come out well after confronting their behaviour. Best option for me was always to get another job. Life's too short to work in a toxic environment.

He was all good about it & knew exactly what I was talking about. I honestly didn't think he was the type to be like that, especially since he had already given all of us a talk about that sort of behaviour.

Awesome! What do you do?

I work for BWS (main role), but I also work in the Nightfill/Replenishment departments for Woolworths (we're an attached store so it's all one job & one pay!).

I honestly didn't think my boss would say such, since he's been giving me heaps of extra hours & calling me first over the other casual (who is kind of slack & can't seem to work unsupervised..) so I was all "Err I don't think what i've been told is true, cause my boss wouldn't do one thing & say another.." Which he actually said before I even had a chance to say that.

Nice man. Nice. Good work on the communication skills there. I hope you do well. Sounds like some of your coworkers aren't the best people though.

Thanks. I just wanna do the best job possible. I'd like to get a full time or part time contract out of it, as much as I love casual rates i'd also prefer job security along with holidays & sick leave lol.

Yeah not everyone is the best, but you get that everywhere. Sucks but eh. Their time will come.

Good morning. I have nothing of interest to talk about aside from my dog losing 800grams in a week.
    He's still fat though.

My parents just got a 3 year old water spaniel that is 5kg overweight. He has been put on a diet and he is not happy.
      ...might just be his normal face. They always look a bit miserable...

Last edited 22/08/16 11:49 am

Poor guy, he's going to develop an eating disorder if you keep talking like that.

are you kidding? He responds to fatso =P

Only because he thinks there might be food if he does

He also responds to food. And Lamb. And chicken and car and park and many other things

Just not bath and get off me

No, he loves bath. He knows up. He knows a lot of words actually.

Thanks for the reminder I wanted to bath Chilli today.. Since she smells like the beach haha.

Morning all

Still loving on Shadow of Mordor.

And Deus Ex this week

Last song played game!

62 - The Healer - Hello from the Magic Tavern

What are you listening to?

Woke up with '40:1' by Sabaton stuck in my head - feels like it'll be a good day today. :) Tho they did release a new album last week, so want to find some time to listen to that... if only my headphones' left speaker hadn't crapped itself last month. I swear I must be cursed when it comes to headphones - doesn't matter if it's a $5 pair or a set of good Sennheisers - they all perish within 6-8 months. :'(

Hardwired - Metallica

Sounds like Metallica is back & in fine form. Can't wait for the new album!

Gang of Youths - Native Tongue.
      Such a killer EP. Australian music is just going from strength to strength at the moment.

Morning, Tay.
    Bought F1 2016 on PC, as well as Armored Core V ,Armored Core For Answer, and Blue Dragon on 360.
    Anyone else got anything new?

Spent a lot of time in NMS this weekend - got to the end of the Atlas path, which all seemed very meta, then started heading for hte centre. Found a couple of planets with 'exotic' resources, but it seemed like commodity trading is still way more efficient. Made it about 6kLy before calling it. Started doing a bit of ship combat, which is pretty fun - attacked a freighter and fended off a bunch of sentinel ships, and had a couple of 1-star bounties show up.

Also started a game that had been in my 'to play' list for far too long - Shadow of the Colossus. Only got to play an hour last night, but holy crap... the sense of scale, the fluidity of all the animations... it's a work of art.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to settling in to really exploring NMS but I think I need to get my current Elite goal out of the way first.

And oh! oh! Are you playing the original or the HD remake? And did you play Ico? And SotC is one of my favourite games ever. Finished it on PS2 waaaay back when.

...and the intro. God, the intro.

That music... The little details in the animations and sound design... the framing, the lighting... *swoon*

Bought the remake bundle on PSN, but I'm playing the PS2 version via emulator, because I'm lazy and my PS3 controllers have gotten kinda funky thanks to disuse and dust and the perishing rubber on the thumbsticks... and I kinda want to properly de-dust the area under my TV before I'd be game to turn my PS3 or 360 back on. I may bite the bullet and clean the old buggers if I can't get the framerate up, tho - it says it's sticking to 60fps, but it seems to be dropping to about 15-20 in places.

I feel like I need a time machine to go back to the brief time in 2008-ish when I had a PS2 - I'd knock the second-hand copy of FFX out of my hands and give my past self a copy of this. Or, more likely, when I was finding titles to buy with my PS3 in 2011-ish.

Edit: And no, never played Ico - didn't even know the two were related until this weekend - I'd figured they were released for PS3 together simply because they shared a developer.

Last edited 22/08/16 12:45 pm

Solved sticky PS3 controllers with Grip-Its. :)

And SotC dropped a lot of framerate on the PS2. It was right at the limit of what PS2 could deal with (as was San Andreas).

Oh god, SA... All the motion blur! I really disliked that about the GTA games when they eventually got ported to Xbox - it just looked horrible.

SotC is a stone classic.

I hope the Last Guardian is a) brilliant and b) somehow "above" all of the weirdness and negativity on the internet. I don't need to see videos of Last Guardian glitches, or weird memes, or "THEY SPENT TEN YEARS FOR THIS?"

I want the Last Guardian to be an event. Like a Malick film, or a staging of an Opera.

I'm at the same point I was with NMS a year ago - "I know it's coming. I'm AVOIDING EVERYTHING".

I found a ship that looks like a seahorse. Or maybe a Great Fox without wings. I don't want to leave this system til I've maxed out my ship slots and found one that looks like that, but I'm only at a 29er :(

I did manage to max out my exosuit though, because the drop pods on this planet were ridiculous. Also chanced upon a maxed out variant of a multitool that I preferred the look of over the maxed one I'd upgraded to, so stripped mine and swapped over. Much better now.

Looks like I've got most of the journey milestones maxed out too, save for the space combat and warping ones. Also the lifeform cataloguing one, though I think I only have another two or three steps to go on that one. Think I'm at 50 hours in now. Fluent in Korvax too, so no more hunting knowledge stones for a while.

Last edited 22/08/16 1:39 pm

Still running a 27 slot ship - mostly because anything larger is out of my price range atm, and haven't come across another profitable planet in a while to make some proper cash. Have maxed out my exo suit, tho, which is useful. I think I've maxed all but four milestone categories - the combat one is progressing fairly rapidly, but not thinking I'll bother with the zoology ones. Spent a good 30-40 hours out around the 174kLy mark, so making a beeline for the centre, 700Ly at a time. Might stop off and explore around the 50k-to-go point, if I get that far, but at this pace, I'm feeling like I'll run out of things to do before I even break 100kLy-to-the-core...

Good afternoon. It was really nice and sunny yesterday and now it is cloudy and gloomy why weather why do you do this.

I live in Melbourne. That was today in the space of about 2 hours

*looks out the window* Oh hey, the suns out again, coulda sworn it was gloomy last time I looked out the window :P

Yup. I wnet to high point. It was sunny when I went in. It started raining so Cam and I had to race back to Sid to get him out of the rain. Next time we went back, no rain. Then bucketing down.

It is like super bright here, but still like 9 degrees... WTF central Australia get your crap together.

Ah yes I've heard of the fickle nature of Melbourne weather

It doesn't know what it wants.

Hi TAY, long time no TAY!

I've not been on Kotaku too much recently, my mum had a pretty nasty health episode about a month ago and life is only now just kind of returning back to some normality for everyone. I hope everyone has been well in my absence!

I've played a few games recently which has been cool, I was heavy into Overwatch competitive mode for a while which I really enjoyed the higher stakes but not necessarily the toxicity that comes from people paying you out for not having a good game. I mostly mained Zarya and Lucio because I felt most comfortable with them, people don't pay you so much when you're playing support. I also played No Man's Sky for about 10 hours, I think I'm done with the game though; I really liked the High Level concept but the gameplay isn't for me sadly. Lastly I've been playing through Ace Attorney on mobile which I really, really like.

I'm thinking about what game I'd like to play next, and I think I'm ready to play World of Warcraft.
    As someone who played Warcraft 3 and Hearthstone my understanding on this game is very limited, but it looks like there’s a lot of exploring to be had with some story; which I think is what I’m looking for in a game.
    My question to TAY, is; is it too late for me?

Yes. You've contemplated it, you are already lost :P

World of Warcraft might be a little like No Man's Sky for you. The ability to explore the world is cool, but over the years they've shifted towards a more end-game focused experience (raiding, getting gear, Arena PvP, etc) and buffed how quickly you can progress through the levelling content. With Cataclysm they updated the entire vanilla world to be much, much better. New quests with more cinematic and story driven content. There's some great quest lines in there. It's just that it's very easy to blast by it all.
      My advice would be to find some friends to play along side (TAY has a group) but try to avoid letting them help you out directly. Look to them for advice rather than asking them to actually come and help you beat something. Once you start getting direct help it begins to feel rushed and you'll probably end up reducing the game to a bunch of tasks. Go here, beat this, get that. If you're playing by yourself you can stop and read the quest text or have a look around the area without worrying about wasting anyone's time.
      That said you might blast through the early content and fall in love with end-game. There's a lot to like about raiding a few times a week with friends or playing Arena competitively.

Ok, I suppose my next question is about how big the content is?

I've heard it's around 80gig, but I thought maybe there was a way I could buy a physical cd to download part of the install and then only need to download 20gig or so of the installation? I'm scared I'll kill my internet download limit lol.

Welcome back, hope all if well with the family now

Thanks mate, Mum had a stroke which was a huge shock: she's only 49 so it was scary but if she stood next to you today you'd have no idea she had one. She's walking, talking same as before which is awesome. Hope all well with you too.

You asked about Blizz games and didn't tag me?! I thought we were friends.

Jokes aside if you're coming into WoW for the story experience its worth noting there isn't really any story until you reach the third expansion (wrath of the lich king - WotLK). That being said a lot of zones/areas from older expansions (especially from Cata onwards) change after certain patches came out in the game basically splintering the story experience. The first example that comes to mind is one of the regions for Mists of Pandaria, the zone got reworked mid expansion and you'll never experience the original story arc before it changed. On that note however almost 90% of the regions are unchanged and have their stories intact.

With regards to downloading updates you can buy a physical copy of a disc but if the system is how it was a few expansion back you'll still have a fairly hefty update going through (think 10-30gb but could be more). It's also worth noting WoW is notorious for large patches when they come out, usually when a new raid/region/patch goes live you'll have a minimum of 4-5gb being downloaded.

Edit: Welcome back and glad to hear your moms ok!

Last edited 23/08/16 10:16 am

I've been getting into Divinity 2: Enhanced Edition for PS4. This game is pretty much designed after everything I've wanted in RPGs.

In every RPG, pretty much everybody hoards everything. In JRPGs you always have 99 potions and hi-potions, cause you never know if you'll need them later. Found a Mega-elixir? Well, let's hold on to that even during the final boss fight. There may be a THIRD final boss fight after this second one! Even in Dark Souls you hoard all those poison knives because, you might need them later.

In Divinity 2 I pretty much have to use everything. Found a AoE fire arrow? Well, that just slightly improves my next fight, better use it. A rain spell? Cool, this will improve my chances of stunning them with electricity. A warrior spell that only knocks down a single enemy? In pretty much every other game it's always better to go for the DPS race and spend your turns attacking. But here a knocked down enemy skips his turn and allows everybody else 100% chance to hit him.

Pretty much all those status ailment effects you usually avoid are required here, it's awesome.

That being said, the balance can still be very wonky. Right outside the west gate of the first city is a tough battle involving a skeleton battlemage who can heal, a poisoned zombie that causes poison to everyone (in this game poison cures undead too), a skeleton archer, and two electrified zombies that can stun with each attack or when directly hit in melee. It's way too much for the start of the game, I only managed to beat this group early cause I backed up and used the towns ballistics and town guard to help me win.

I also played the beta for Titanfall 2. It's pretty fun, if rather limited. I noticed that once again, ammo doesn't exist (seems to be a new trend). Grenades are on a timer and only your Titan cracker weapon has limited ammo. You primary is unlimited. I'm not sure if I like this new trend.

The first day the Australian servers were broken, had to switch to Singapore, which added a half second delay to everything. The fixed it, so hopefully it won't be an issue on release.

The controls are just lame though, there's too many inputs a character can make to fit on a controller. It's fine on foot, but when I'm in a Titan I wish I could bind the buttons. Why is down on the D-Pad my ultimate attack? When is triangle my secondary attack? Why is X my defense ability that I have to hold down to use, making it impossible to aim in the direction of the attack to protect from?

Aside from that, it also suffers the general problems CoD evolved into. Where time to kill is so short there's practically no time to defend yourself once someone starts shooting at you. It's a contest of who sees who first. Also the recoil from your gun is randomly random or not. You can burst fire someone on the opposite roof and right before he dies, they spray their gun in your general direction and randomly gets a headshot. It can be really annoying at times.

Well I started oceanhorn last night so we started to get our Zelda on.
    So far enjoying it but haven't done much, just headed to the 3rd Island so still early game. Seeing a number of things that will be unlocked once we advance further and get the item needed to do open up the area
    So far so good

So is it Zelda or isn't it?

It's sort of like Wind Waker's themes and maps in Link Between World's engine. It's a little simple but I had fun with it.

Ah okay, so not Zelda.

Sorry did you just say LBW is not Zelda? :P

No. I loved Link between worlds. But it's not an official Zelda game.

Whaaa? I was all set to fite but now am just confused. I mean we're not talking about the CDi Zeldas here.

Oceanhorn is not Zelda

I know, that's why I clarified.

As dogman says, it is basically Zelda for PC without any of the licensing

Now long does it usually take for games to arrive from Ozgameshop? Are they coming from the UK?

Last edited 22/08/16 5:57 pm

I believe Ozgames shop are a UK retailer, I've ordered stuff from the UK before and it's taken between 6-15 days.

I ordered a couple of games from them a few weeks ago and it took 9 working days for them to arrive. And yeah it's all from the UK unless it's marked as Australian stock

So this is interesting: Cygames (creators of kind of reasonably good for a phone game Granblue Fantasy) are licensing out the Granblue Fantasy IP to Platinum to have them build what looks to be a console game. It doesn't look too bad either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-K5n1sbdrQ

Looks like a fairly normal Platinum action game, but nothing wrong with that at all. I'm assuming that it won't be limited to just those four characters (but it'd be okay if it was I think, though I'm not super familiar with the original game). Kind of looks like it might be multiplayer?

Platinum really seems to churn out games recently though. They have this, plus Scalebound and Nier: Automata in the pipe, and are apparently working with Cygames on a smartphone strategy game too (with Akihiko Yoshida artwork from the look of it). I hope it turns out better than their previous licensed stuff (That TMNT game, Transformers Devastation, Legend of Korra...)

I am going to murder this fucking S3. Last I used it it was back to not charging again, so it's been sitting there on a half charge since I last attempted to get it going. Or so I thought. I took it with me to the piano store today to try out the bluetooth app with the Roland I was looking at, only once I got there the stupid thing wouldn't turn on. Wonderful. Then once I got home I went to plug it in to start charging, only I thought hey wait a sec it keeps stopping halfway through, I should bring it out here to charge so I can keep an eye on it. Only once I plug it back in, it's decided it doesn't want to charge any more. GAH.

Eventually got it going with a sneaky quick swap of batteries that seemed to trick it into charging. Only I just looked back now and it's stopped itself.

That's it. Getting the hammer.

Good too early morning, all

What was the last game you finished? Did you do it out of obligation or for fun?

I've been trying to be less nocturnal recently, which means shifting my sleep pattern. It's not particularly enjoyable, so to makes things better I got around to finishing a few games that I had started years ago.
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - >1.5 years - Only needed to finish the DLC but got drawn back in by the sheer joy of the combat systems. As a side note, this game is a huge reason why people should not be put off by MG: Survive.
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 3 years - Did not complete this game on the anniversary of when I started playing. Missed opportunity.
    Brütal Legend - 3 years - Wow, how has this not got a sequel? I had forgotten how good this game was. Brilliant soundtrack.

Picked up AssCreed Rogue for $9 from EB - it was a fun icon clearing simulator, but the special collectibles were more spread out than in previous games so you didn't get the special weapons/armour/whatever without repeatedly going out of your way. In the past, I might've tried to 100% the game, but as soon as I was done with the main story I stopped playing.
      Deus Ex tonight though, should be preloaded by then!

Trine 3 - Fun but that said it was kinda short
      Actually the last game I finished was monochroma which was also for fun but the ending was very abrupt, was expecting there to be a lot more of the story

Hey everyone, I need a msall favour.
    I'm planning on running again. Thanks to @sernobulus I now have running shoes so I can take it up again. So, what I want, is for people to post some of their favourite video game music. I want to make a playlist to run to.
    Any suggestions?

I'll start off I guess.

If you've gotta go fast, there's only one answer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=KReRO15-mgw

Obvious example for running is the Mirror's Edge soundtrack.
      Splinter Cell: Chaos THeory is a classic one that's good to run to
      The No Man's Sky soundtrack has jumped up the charts super quickly as ambient music

Beyond that, I don't listen to much in the way of video game music

I don't know if it's your style of music at all but I've always loved the Madworld soundtrack. Lots of rap and hip hop but it really perks me up when I listen to it.

Deus ex coming out tonight! Got a huge day tomoz but still gonna get up at 3 so I can get 2 hrs of play time in before the rest of the house wakes up. Looking forward to this!

Eyeing off an EVGA SC GTX 1070 for $566 AUD ($600 AUD shipped) from Newegg. Cheapest here is $670 without shipping so that sounds like an okay deal.

Ok i ordered Deus Ex last night from Ozgameshop because it was so much cheaper than everyone else. Hopefully it'll arrive soon!!! Been dying to play this.

I haven't been playing too many video games lately. Played some board games over the weekend and unfortunately I didn't manage to play Scythe which looked amazing. I love the dieselpunk aesthetic of the game and it looked like a fun little worker placement game. I also had the day off yesterday so mostly just lazed about.

Also got some bad news which kicked me in the guts. Spoilered so I don't bring down the mood for everyone.

My grandmother passed away over the weekend and the funeral is going to be at the end of the week. She was 86 and suffered a cardiac arrest so at least it wasn't dragged out. Still though, I feel I should be more depressed about it than I am. I feel kind of numb about the whole thing which I guess is just me going through the motions until I get the chance to say goodbye.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. It just is awful, I was a wreck for quite a while after my grandmother passed.

I was at a Concert the other night and I was a wreck when a song played because it reminded me of my grandmother.

I still have issues with "You'll never walk alone"

American Pie. Was Dad's signature piece on an acoustic 12 string guitar. Haven't heard it since it was the entrance music at his funeral. Hope to keep it that way.

I'm sorry to hear that
      I'm coming up to the one-year anniversary of my sister passing away, and found out this week that a cousin has passed away after a long illness. His funeral is tomorrow and it all sucks. I was never close to my own grandparents, but I've adopted a few through marriage, and it's going to be very hard to say goodbye to them. Hugs to you, grief is a funny thing, it comes and goes in waves.

So I saw there's a pre-sale for Guns N' Roses 'Not In This Lifetime' Australian Tour. The name is right. $180 for middle of the stadium GA standing tickets, $100 for back row seating or one of the many VIP packages starting at $300 :/ I was thinking maybe $300 for front row would be fair, nope that's $700 :(

Yeah man I saw the tickets and thought 'Fuck that, I'll wait for the eventual concert clips'. I'd love to see them live but I get the feeling memories of seeing them perform live as a teen in the very, very early 90s might be best left as they were...

Haha. Whilst Axl sounds pretty good, I dunno if $180 is worth it for middle stadium tickets. I'm used to paying that much and getting down the front >_>

Middle of the stadium you'll only see him as a dot anyhow and end up watching him on a screen lol

Yeah. Not a fan of that tbh. Was bad enough last time I saw Slipknot I couldn't see shit from the edge of the pit.

Yeah man, paid for Big Day Out tickets back in 2000 or so. I remember Rammstein were playing and we wanted badly to see them. However being caught riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight in the back we could only see 'dots' on stage and it sucked hard :\

Yeah. It's not fun. My friends laughed at me for spending the extra $$ for early entry for Slipknot in October, yeah but i'll be down the front bitches!