As we reported earlier this month, Pokemon GO is about to get a big update. It's called the buddy system, and it's being rolled out right now.
In a post on their website, Niantic confirmed that the buddy system would be the main focus of the next Pokemon GO update, which is classed as version 0.37.0 on Android and 1.7.0 on iOS devices.
Here's the official patch notes:
- Implemented Buddy Pokémon: Trainers will now be able to choose one of their Pokémon to be their buddy. A Trainer can earn Candy for their Buddy Pokémon
- by walking a certain distance.
- Made it easier to select smaller Pokémon on the screen.
- Fixed an issue where Eggs would sometimes hatch without displaying the animation.
- Improved performance reliability when a device switches networks to no longer cause the application to hang or stop updating.
- Pokemon GO Plus support
- Minor text fixes.
Making it easier to select smaller Pokemon will be a godsend as well, although I suspect not as much as wandering around with a Pikachu on your shoulder. Or having Dragonite flap behind you.
The developer also added that they would be removing support from the game for jailbroken or rooted devices, in a move to cut down on "bots and scrapers" from the game.