Either by chance, stupidity or just poor management, last night I managed to completely bugger up the index finger on my right hand. It was basically unusable, to the point where I needed an ice pick just to reduce the throbbing pain.
Of course, I've incurred actual injuries in the past. Some arsehole stomped on my hand while playing basketball once and fractured the snot out of my finger; I also managed to slice my heel completely open on a wheelbarrow when I was little.
So it got me thinking: what injuries have you incurred? I put the question to people around the office as well:
- Mark's brother once got a fractured skull, jaw and cheekbone following a fight in a bar once. Some bloke apparently socked him with a piece of scaffolding, and when he hit the deck the point of impact was just above the eye socket, leaving a scar.
- Our publisher, Danny, once broke his nose in soccer because he headbutted the back of someone's head instead of the ball.
- Gizmodo's Campbell jumped down a flight of stairs, landed wrong, and basically damaged everything. His left ankle's still buggered, apparently.
- Hayley, our social media editor, got tendinitis in her index finger from League of Legends.
- Chris from Lifehacker had the worst birthday ever — because he fell off his bike, broke his leg in three places and fell so badly that his teeth got pushed into his jaw. "They had to get tweezers to pull them out of my jaw," Chris added. Good God.
- Amanda, our early morning sub-editor, had a seizure and fell down an escalator at Myer.
So those are some of the worst ways we've screwed ourselves up. How about you?