A new report this morning has revealed that Samsung seems all but certain to delay their second shipment of Galaxy Note7 handsets in Australia, following more stories of Note7 phones catching fire.
The second round of Galaxy Note7 phones began arriving in Australia on September 22. But early adopters of Samsung's device are going to have to wait a little longer for a replacement, after multiple reports broke of the replacement phone overheating and catching fire.
An internal memo from Telstra landed in the hands of The Verge, where Samsung reportedly told the telco that new Galaxy Note7 phones has been "temporarily paused". The full memo is below:
Please be advised of some updates to the Samsung Note 7 Global Exchange program.
Samsung has temporarily paused the supply of new Galaxy Note7 smartphones following a reported incident in a replacement phone in the US. Samsung is confident in the replacement Note7 and says they have no reason to believe it’s not safe. We’ll let you know the status of your replacement Note7 as soon as we have more information.
We have contacted impacted customers to advise them of the delay.
The move comes after a staggering tale when a Note7 owner received a text from Samsung saying that they would "try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it".
The SMS came after an exchange between a Kentucky man and Samsung was prompted by a replacement Galaxy Note7 catching fire despite not being plugged in. Michael Klering told WKYT that his room began to fill with smoke and that he was later diagnosed with acute bronchitis as a result of the black smoke that filled his room.
To make matters worse for Samsung, the story came after a replacement Note7 blew up in a 13-year-old girl's hand last week.
In total, five replacement Note7 phones have caught fire. Carriers in the United States have stopped selling the phone entirely, and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has said they were "moving expeditiously" to discover what is happening.
Samsung told Gizmodo earlier that they were "working diligently with authorities" and third parties into reports about the replacement Note7 phones overheating. "If we determine a product safety issue exists, Samsung will take immediate steps approved by the CPSC to resolve the situation," the company said.
Another statement is expected later today, and we'll let you know what the outcome of that is when it arrives.