Although most associate Left 4 Dead with Valve, it was originally cooked up by Turtle Rock Studios. While its latest game, Evolve, is all but, uh, dead, L4D is still quite popular. And it might enjoy a fresh burst of interest, with studio co-founder Chris Ashton releasing an unfinished campaign for public consumption.
A couple of days ago, Ashton packaged up the campaign, called "Dam It" and made it available as a downloadable add-on. By his own admission it's not 100 per cent, but it can be played from "beginning to end", as long as you don't mind a few rough edges:
Releasing as an add-on means that our code changes are not included. Missing code means that the following features are not working:
- Fire, smoke and explosions do not trigger panic events in the hangars.
- Zombies do not crawl all the time in the orchard.
- Farm house mob does not spawn in the far side of the woods.
- Covered bridge does not collapse with explosions.
- Burned forest area is missing wandering fires.
- The burning forest section has a burn trigger that stays on too long. If you move quickly you'll take burn damage.
- The dam spawn room is missing health kits and weapons.
- The elevator models have an offset origin in the dam. Players can still get on and use them, but they are invisible and wall collision is missing.
If you're keen, the add-on is 150MB and can be downloaded here. I'd recommend checking out the design overview, which can be viewed at the aforementioned link. It's packed with interesting tidbits.