First Code Geass, now Cardcaptor Sakura. To celebrate the magical girl anime’s 20th anniversary, a sequel has been announced, airing in Japan in January 2018.
Revealed in the January issue of Japanese shōjo magazine Nakayoshi (via Anime News Network), Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc will be produced by Madhouse, the same production company behind the original 1998 anime. The original series’ director Morio Asaka is also returning, as well as the original core voice cast. Returning cast members announced are:
- Sakura Tange as Sakura Kinomoto/Sakura Avalon, the titular Cardcaptor Sakura.
- Aya Hisakawa as Cerberus/Kero, the guardian of the Clow Cards and small winged mascot.
- Junko Iwao as Tomoyo Daidōji/Madison Taylor, Sakura’s best friend.
- Motoko Kumai as Syaoran Li/Li Showron, Sakura’s rival and love interest.
- Tomokazu Seki as Tōya Kinomoto/Tori Avalon, Sakura’s elder brother.
- Megumi Ogata as Yukito Tsukishiro/Julian Star, Tori’s best friend and (in the Japanese version) love interest.
Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc will adapt the ongoing manga of the same name launched this July by CLAMP. The manga follows Sakura’s adventures in junior high school immediately after the end of the first series. Sakura’s cards are mysteriously rendered blank after she has a strange dream, and in her quest to discover the cause she finds and captures new, transparent cards.