If you're anything like me, you've been sitting around wondering when the next next Grand Theft Auto 4 PC patch is going to hit. Wait no longer.
I'm actually not entirely kidding — I've been wanting to replay GTA 4 for a while now, and have been bummed to find it so difficult to even start the version of the game I own through Steam. Yesterday, Rockstar released a new patch that should make it easier for more people to play.
Per Rockstar, here's what the Game Patch 8 does:
- Added error code "WTV270" to indicate a problem with connecting to Windows Live Sign in Assistant / Games for Windows Live Servers.
- Added Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 to compatible OS check.
- Added Display Controller image in Controller Configuration.
- Fixed a bug which made completing "Out of Commission" mission impossible when frame rate exceeds 60fps.
- Fixed a bug with the "Resource Usage" indicator on graphics cards with more than 2GB of VRAM.
- Fixed a bug that restricted settings changes when using modern video cards.
- Fixed a bug with the map crosshair on certain resolutions.
- Fixed a bug with text scrolling in "Brief" Menu.
- Fixed "drawlist overflow" crash.
- Minor performance optimisations.
There's also a new launcher update that should let some people play who were previously locked out by a server update.
Game Patch 7 was released in March of 2011, which makes for a hell of an extended dry spell between PC updates. Unfortunately, GTA 4 is still a pain in the arse for me to get working, mostly thanks to the fact that it still uses the now-defunct gatekeeping service Games for Windows Live. I got the game working after tracking down and installing the XLiveLess workaround. Frustrating that good games like this one could theoretically be hobbled on PC forever.
I don't really have a modern frame of reference for how GTA 4 ran before the patch, but it works... OK for me now? It's playable, though I definitely get some weird stutter in cutscenes and sub-60fps performance that seems like it shouldn't be happening on my modern machine. Still, nice that Rockstar's updating older games at all. Maybe next we can get a performance patch for Bully.