Yesterday's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update fixes a lot of bugs for online matches, as well as making the game a bit more fair for players that are losing.
While the jury's out on whether or other racers in AI matches are cheating, losing against real life players in online matches is no less frustrating. After yesterday's update, racers who are behind in online matches, "will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently." I'm sure this will be helpful, but it also kind of feels like a neg. Thanks, Nintendo.
Other updates include using Pikmin amiibo to get Pikmin suits for Miis (cute!), fixes for a couple annoying bugs like the item wheel spinning continuously in online matches and online matches not ending 30 seconds after the first racer finishes as intended. It's a small update, but it will probably have an impact on online play — especially for players who aren't doing well.
Here's the full list of fixes:
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player's item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.