Games seem to cycle between historical conflicts; going by recent announcements, it appears we’re back to World War 2. The trend continues with a Payday-esque co-op shooter from Lion Game Lion called RAID: World War 2, which counts John Cleese of Monty Python fame among its cast.
The official website is all style, with scant details beyond its co-op nature and World War 2 setting. However, given its ties to Payday developer Overkill Software — in fact, Lion Game Lion is mostly comprised of former employees of the studio — it’s a safe bet it’ll be Payday with a 1940s coating.
There’s also a fancy cinematic trailer, which has heavy Payday undertones.
Fortunately, the website and video aren’t all we have to go on. A press release from publisher Starbreeze sheds more light on the title:
- Class Based Gameplay – Players choose from four different classes – Recon, Assault, Insurgent, or Demolitions – each with their own highly developed skill tree that allows for various play styles;
- War Cries – Each character class can unleash their own powerful War Cry to buff their player or the entire team;
- Character Customization – RAID’s four heroes represent the main combatants from the European theatre of WWII: Great Britain, USA, Germany and the Soviet Union. Each character possesses a unique look and a customizable uniform;
- Lethal Weapon Modifications – the Second World War was infamous for arming the world with deadly and experimental weapons that went “bang” in lethal fashion. RAID: World War II gives players access to an array of precision killing machines complete with weapons upgrades such as custom barrels, stocks, fore grips, optic sights and much more to satisfy a variety tastes;
- Operations Mode – RAID: World War II offers players the opportunity to play through extended versions of their favorite missions by undertaking the “Operations” gameplay mode. Operations challenges players through a chained series of highly modified raids, featuring new storylines, and added content and objectives;
- Challenge Cards – By participating and completing successful raids, players will earn Challenge Cards that allow them to customize the rules of a raid in a give-and-take fashion. For example, enemy ammo drops will increase, providing players with more ammunition to hold enemies at bay; however, the damage inflicted by enemies will be greater;
- Real-World Locations – The game’s setting takes place in real-world locations across war-torn Europe. From mighty m [sic] dominating the heart of Berlin, to the idyllic bridge over the Elbe, players will travel through a war-torn Europe and bring destruction to Nazis in every corner of Hitler’s Reich.
John Cleese will apparently play the role of Control, a British intelligence officer. If you’re expecting a quip or two from him in the trailer, prepare to be disappointed.
In terms of platforms, PC is first off the rank, arriving September 26, while Xbox One and PS4 owners will have to wait until October.
RAID: World War 2 [Official site]
The Cheapest NBN 1000 Plans
Looking to bump up your internet connection and save a few bucks? Here are the cheapest plans available.