If the name "MiniDOOM" sounds familiar, well, that's because it is! 2016 saw the release of the original MiniDOOM from Calavera Studio. Two years later, it's back with a sequel, though according to the developer, it's more of a "bigger, louder and more badass" remake.
"Bigger" is certainly the right word: while MiniDOOM is a svelte 10MB download, MiniDOOM 2 weighs in at 85MB.
So, what does the eight-fold increase in megabytes get you? Let's take a look:
- 17 new levels and 2 new bosses for hours of fun (and frustration).
- 14 weapons spanning all Doom games and additional secret weapons.
- 40+ minutes of face-melting metal and spine-shivering ambient music, plus renditions of the classic “At Doom’s Gate” theme.
- Secrets, upgrades and mysterious artifacts to discover and unlock.
- Smooth and responsive controls that will make your skills the most important weapon to defeat the legions of hell.
- Colorful, funny and bloody artwork inspired on 80s and 90s games.
- 5 levels of difficulty and 4 game modes to fit every gamer, from the inexperienced rookie to the demon slaying hardcore gamer that has walked the planes for a million years.
Like the first iteration, MiniDOOM 2 is completely free, which means you have nothing to lose by giving it a crack. Well, except your sanity.