Nintendo has rolled out an update for the Switch that adds new ways to add friends. Now instead of plugging in a lengthy friend code you can add people based on your social media accounts.
I know I should probably be excited about the 24 new user icons in this update but I’m really not. Friend codes are unwieldy as all hell. It’s good to see that Nintendo is adding new ways to add friends on the Switch that completely ignore them.
Now you can get friend suggestions through your profile by linking your social media accounts to the Nintendo Switch friend app. It’s all automated through the profile. I’d tell you what happens when someone is suggested but apparently nobody I know on Twitter has linked their account yet.
Still, it’s a vast improvement.
There are also updates to the parental controls that include switching the default method of entering your PIN to the control stick instead of the on-screen number pad, to stop little rascals from working out the PIN based on your fingerprints.
The update has also fixed a bug that removed play times from people’s profiles.
Switches that are connected to the internet will automatically download the update and users should be prompted to install it.
Here’s what Nintendo says is in the update:
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions.
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting.
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization.
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad.
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user.
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play.
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels.
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu.
Thanks @QuizmasterBrad for the heads up.