If you've wondered what No Man's Sky would have been like as a shared, multiplayer experience, next week is your chance to find out.
Hello Games is releasing No Man's Sky NEXT across all platforms on July 24, allowing players to either explore with random players or "a small team of friends". The official post doesn't outline exactly how many people you can explore the galaxy with at once, although the trailer below shows instances of at least four players on screen at once.
Here's a list of features that will be included with the NEXT patch, which is free for all users:
• Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
• You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
• Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
• Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
• Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
• Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
• The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
• Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
• Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
• Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
Unlimited Base Building
• Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
• Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
• Hundreds of new base parts.
• Own multiple bases.
• Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
• Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
• Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
• Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.