So, another major gaming convention has come and gone. But what caught your eye the most?
A week of releases and new trailers is always a good chance to re-examine expectations for the gaming year, and sometimes form new ones. Gamescom had plenty of fresh builds: Super Mario Party was playable for the first time, or at least the mini-games were. People got hands on with DmC 5, much to their delight, and it was a chance for most of the public to see how games like Starlink: Battle for Atlas, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Skull & Bones, Life is Strange 2 and more were coming along.
In no particular order, some highlights for me:
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps: Didn't have this high on my list of games I think I'd be excited for; the Gamescom demo rapidly changed that.
- Battlefield 5: Not for the Rotterdam level as such, but more the ray tracing tech shown off during the Nvidia showings. Should open up a lot of possibilities for developers in a couple of years time when the techniques are more widely known.
- Supermarket Shriek: Seeing people scream at each other to navigate their way through a supermarket is never not funny.
- World War 3: I'm all for more metagames in shooters, but I'll have more to say about this later.
- Biomutant: Hugely entertaining.
What games or trailers did you see from Gamescom this year that caught your attention?