Publisher Electronic Arts seems to have backtracked on its plans to shut down the mobile version of Rock Band following a massive outcry from fans and press yesterday.
Yesterday, customers with the iOS version of Rock Band received a message saying the game would shut down on May 31. Now, EA says that was an error.
"Rock Band for iOS will remain live -- the in-app message users received yesterday was sent in error," an EA representative told Kotaku last night. "We apologise for the confusion this caused. We're working to clarify the issue that caused the error and will share additional information as soon as possible."
After news of Rock Band's expiration date circulated yesterday, gamers took to Reddit to complain about EA, which was voted the Worst Company in America during a fan-driven web poll last month. Some fans also bombed the game on iTunes, hitting it with one-star reviews to warn people to stay away.
"How is it that they can have me pay for this app and songs to play, and then just take it away from me after they get their money?" one customer wrote. "RIPOFF!"
In addition, The Verge reports that the FAQ on EA's website, which used to say they were "suspending support for Rock Band after May 31 and focusing resources on other EA titles", has now been modified to reflect the "error".
We've contacted EA for further clarification and will update should we hear anything.