The Wii U version of Smash Bros drops next week -- and in the meantime, you can start brushing up on some of your skills on the 3DS version, or at the very least start learning how to up your game.
If you want a run-down of the knowledge contained in this video, here you go:
- How the game has increased running speed/it's faster than Brawl.
- You can't ledge hog anymore, thanks to a change in how invulnerability works/changes in how you regrab the ledge, as well as changes to the ledge's sweet-spot.
- Vectoring, which dictates how characters fly into the air after being hit.
- The ability to cancel your run but not initial dash animation by shielding.
- Increased amount of landing lag after air dodges.
- Spikes now ground bounce characters that hit the stage
- Reverse aerial rush -- which allows you to jump and turn around at the same time.
- The turn cancel.
- Roll cancel grabs (especially important for characters like Little Mac, among others -- the technique increases your grab range)
- Toss cancelling, which is the ability to cancel landing lag by throwing an item.
I'm guessing that once the game has been put through its paces on the Wii U, there will be all sorts of new, advanced techniques to discuss. And this video doesn't cover things like the rage effect, which can definitely impact your matches. EDIT: and as some commenters are noting, it's entirely possible some of this can or will be patched out. Still, it's a good primer for many of the concepts that hardcore Smash players are knowledgeable about, and the sort of thing you'll want to be aware of while playing.
Smash 4 New Mechanics and Advanced Techniques! Remastered [Zangoosinite]